ID Thief Gets 14 Years In Prison

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Notok, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=57700753#_

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

We hear about the huge sting operations like this one, but what about things where our identity is simply "borrowed" for motives other than money? I think of Mike Swickey and what he went through a year or two back. Swickey is a privacy consultant out of Oklahoma City (I think it was Oklahoma) and was a victim himself. The story, as I remember it, was that the guy didn't know for several months that someone was running a website for Dennis Kucinich for President and using Swickey's name. The irony is that Swickey was anything BUT a Kucinich type. He is a conservative and far from the fringe thinking of the left-leaning Kucinich. It didn't keep someone from using his name and campaigning on Kucinich's behalf!! All behind the anonymity of a keyboard on the internet! Even a guy who works with privacy for a living can't do anything about that kind of "borrowing" of identity. I've heard him tell his story a couple of times and it makes me realize - it's not always about money. Anyone can "steal" or "borrow" your identitiy for any purpose. It's all pretty scary when you think about it.
    Gerard

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Always have a good lawyer as a friend. Even if you're a lawyer. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.