ID Shield refuses to listen

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Techfox1976, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

I have a love/hate relationship with the ID shield. I love the concept but even since Beta, it's been the source of more headaches than anything else. Keyboard issues, program failures, you name it, could often be tracked to the ID shield.

Turn it off completely and it would make the entire program "Yellow" and "Warning", which I do not like. So at least I could get by on the suboptimal idea of setting all the browsers to "Allow" and not protecting them.

Now, it doesn't care and doesn't listen. I can set every browser to Allow, even remove all the entries from application protection, and it will still protect Firefox, complete with all the horrendous bugs this causes. Even after a restart of the agent with nothing listed in protected applications or all listed as "Allowed", it still protects the foreground window when Firefox is running. This is even impacting my clients and users, so I'm getting a lot of complaints and having a lot of extra work. I don't like extra work.

I thought, perhaps it was because Phishing protection was still "Protecting" the browser... However the symptoms of ID shield problems persisted until I turned off the ID shield switch or shut down Webroot completely. *Sigh*

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Interesting, what bugs are you seeing occur when it's actively protecting? It shouldn't be showing protected applications as protected when they're only 'Allowed' - I'm going to try to reproduce this on my end but will let you know if I run into any trouble diagnosing it here.

3. Techfox1976

The pretty standard ID shield issues:
    - Physical keyboard entry is fickle at times. Keys registering oddly, modifier keys not registering at the proper times, etc. Most common is shift key release not registering and space bar registering several keystrokes too late. So for examples: "SHIft key released after 's' but stays for three keystrokes" and "Spacebarke yn otreg isteringw henit ispre ssed"
    - Lack of ability to type anything or certain characters into the browser (for example, was unable to type anything at all into a text input box, and could type any character except "c" into the address bar). Frequently occurs after using LogMeIn to remotely access a PC. Also occurs on occasion with gaming input keyboards (G510, for example) or mice which simulate keyboard activity on a button press.
    - Copy/Paste activity problems intermittently in any program while the browser is open

In an enterprise environment, I have seen the Dell Touchpad stop working to be able to move the mouse while the touchpad program is running after Copy or Paste within a browser. The touchpad program registers that the pad is being touched, but the mouse does not move. Turning off WSA or the ID shield or the Dell Touchpad program allows the touchpad to work.

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Thanks, I'll look into this on my side and let you know what I find.

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

After playing around with another AV this morning, I can add an annoying issue caused by WSA and most likely the ID Shield. Double clicking on either the IE or Firefox icon will start a process but not open the browser. I have to enter the task manager and kill the process. Very annoying.

6. Techfox1976

Switch check.
    Does it definitely always happen when SA is running and not-happen when it's not?
    If so, do the same test with ID shield active and with it not-active.

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Yes. I'm running another AV now with no problems.
    Turning off IDShield will have to wait until I uninstall the AV I am currently testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.