ID Blaster--Necessary/Helpful?

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by wvman45, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvman45

wvman45 Registered Member

I recently read up on ID Blaster via this forum and am trying to decide if it's a worthwhile addition to my defense-in-depth strategy. I have a 5-host broadband home network, behind a hardware firewall router. On my main host, I am running W2K with ZAP, NAV, Trojan Hunter, X-Cleaner, SS&D, Ad-Aware, BHO Demon, SpywareBlaster, run regular scans with Hijack This, and recently, started evaluating A2. Is there anything unique that ID Blaster performs compared to the above mentioned applications?

Yes, I'm a newbie--to this site--so flames from "old timers" cheerfully redirected to /dev/null.

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, ID Blaster is very different from all the other applications you mentioned. It basically scrambles a list of unique IDs that are present on a system primarily for the purpose of ensuring that those IDs can't be used to track or identify that system.

If a computer has a totally unique ID value on it that no other system in the world has, and if that value could be pulled from that system by an application or from functions at various webpages (or by other means), the people collecting that information might very well be able to determine that the same system visited that list of websites or ran a list of specific applications.

It all comes down to people collecting detailed tracking information, storing it in databases and trying to see a pattern in the data. A key issue in overall privacy is that you really don't want anything totally unique to your system ending up in this type of tracking database otherwise, overtime significant patterns of usage might be determined.

Not a problem Chuck. That's not how this site operates. ;)

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

3. noname9

noname9 Guest

Are there any known problems with ID blaster? For instance, do applications still work after the IDs have been changed? May ID blaster conflict with any software protection schemes?

TIA.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

None of the IDs that can be randomized with the default ID-Blaster list should cause any such problems.

The default Windows product IDs should be recorded before you first set up randomization, however, just in case you would want to restore them at some point.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Post was split and moved to proper forum. Follow the link,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24806

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.