ICSA Labs, certification of AV's

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mikel108, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I have only glaced at the icsa website a few times before. Today I took a good read, and it certainly left me with questions.

I noticed that while many AV companies had their product pass the tests for XP Pro, their were relatively few that passed for XP Home(?). This was for detection of viruses.

As for a passing grade for cleaning of viruses on the XP Home edition, this list grew very thin. Only Norton :eek: passed!!

I know that not every AV gets tested there, but why do so many fail on the most popular OS. Am I missing something o_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do you have a link for that page?

3. mikel108

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks mikel. Do you have the link for the XP Pro vs Home passes and fails?

5. mikel108

No I could not find that yet. It seems that they only list you if you are currently certified by ICSA.

6. mikel108

I did find a list of reports(Link Below).

The current online Report is Nov 2004. It has a listing of products and if they passed. I find it strange that on their report they list no fails. It would appear that if your AV fails say the test for XP. Then that fail is not included in any report. I understand that the companies pay for these tests, and would not want their product having a fail beside their name. I have came across AV's that have the ICSA Certified logo on their site, and when you go to check it out, you see that the only test they passed is like for linux ;) !

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/notes/tr1104.shtml

7. mikel108

Well, I have to head out for a bit. Hopefully someone can make heads or tails of this by the time I get back.

I am taking my wife shopping for Valentines day. I can always tell how much I have ticked her off over the last year, by how expensive Feb 14th becomes for me!

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.