icore virtualization......wow!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

http://icoresoftware.com/

Maybe I shouldn't say 'Wow' just yet. I've only been playing with it for about half an hour, but I'm liking it - other than for a very, very slight hit on my aging system, xp pro sp2 512RAM

The best way to explain it is, if you try it be prepared for a shock. I downloaded and installed it, and my screen went black, but only for a few seconds. You're then given a several choices. I picked Internet, and it began to setup and, when done (a couple of minutes) I got my desktop back, the old desktop with the nice green field, and a balloon popped up at the bottom asking if I wanted a tour of XP.

I don't know if I believe all the hype about stopping all malware, etc. Other than my Powershadow, now dead and gone, this sucker looks like the best alternative I've found for playing with non-dangerous programs, without loading my box with leftover junk. Just use it and, when you don't want it, delete and it's gone. I can't comment yet on software that needs a reboot. I'll be trying it, though, to see - maybe tomorrow.

*edit* icore works with xp only up through 2003. It will not run on Vista sp1. I tried to install it on my Vista laptop. Also, although it brings quite a bit of my software over, it won't recognize my printer. There is a shared folder thing, though, and I might try to see if I can get the printer into shared folder. OR, just run the printer software in virtual to see if it'll work. The printer is showing in Control Panel, just isn't being read.

Also, software installed in virtual does remain and work after reboot. I downloaded a program last night, installed it this morning, rebooted and it's functioning nicely. The downside, reboots take 3+ minutes before the virtual desktops initialize and let you in. Regular desktop can be accessed normally.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. icore

icore Registered Member

Hi, Chuck57.
    I represent iCore Software.
    Thank you for feedback.
    Some notes:
    In the nearest time we must release a new version with new virtual file system! It allows you to have unlimited virtual disk (of course limited only physical volume) and faster iCore virtual machines (reduce disk activity, reduce reboots time).
    About prints: yes, we didn't virtualize it, but we plan to do it.
    Thanks.

3. suliman

suliman Registered Member

Sounds like an interreesting software. I guess due to it is working at the kernel level there will never be a version for Vista 64?

4. Arup

Arup Guest

How bout a x64 version? Any hope in future.

5. icore

icore Registered Member

Hi.
    You are right, that the difference between 32 and 64bit is large. Now we are not faced with the challenge to maintain 64. But we plan to support 64bit.
    Thanks.

6. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

icore - Thank you for your work.

I wanted to test icore within an existing VMware machine having flat 5gb drive but shielded from all network access. The VM is fully encrypted with latest TrueCrypt 6.1a. My objective was to test icore under conditions of a totally encrypted system.
    Installation failed when install complained it could not connect to microsoft.com to obtain 'system information'.

Why do you need to call Microsoft?
    It is not acceptable for me to allow outside connection calls when testing this type of software.

Have you tested icore under fully encrypted systems such as Securstar DCPP, Jetico BestCrypt Volume Enc., or TrueCrypt WDE?
    Otherwise, this looks very promising for development. Hope you can offer alternative installation instructions.

7. icore

icore Registered Member

Hi, gb63.
    iCore software must connect to Microsoft.com to download kernel symbols for your version of Windows kernel. There are different Windows builds, which require a different set of symbols.
    If we integrate the symbols, even for the most popular builds, the size distribution will grow significantly.
    Sorry, but now there is only such way.

As I know our dev-team tested under fully encrypted systems. But I must ask them. I will inform you about it.

Thanks!

8. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

Thank you for your quick response. I allowed internet access, and installed. There appears to be no conflict with fully encrypted system under TrueCrypt. Will test under BestCrypt Volume Encryption next.
    Looks good so far!

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Won't install in an XP VM?

10. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

This looks a very interesting piece of software. Unfortunately I'm running Vista so can't test at the moment, but will certainly give it a try on XP somehow. I'm an FD-ISR user, and this appears to be similar in some ways with the isolated operating systems. Looking forward to giving this a go. Thanks :thumb: .

11. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

Installs fine in VM as long as one allows internet connection. The test VM uses an allocated 5gb drive and runs XPsp3, on host running XPsp3.
    The VM boots with pre-boot auth TrueCrypt 6.1a.

12. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Ah that's why, my nLited XP VHD's are way too small.

13. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

Whoops....
    I am been reporting I was using a TrueCrypt encrypted VM. Not so. I had cloned a machine originally used for TC and re-encrypted under BestCrypt Volume Encryption v2.11.2. Forgot to change description.

So, I have actually confirmed it installs and runs under a fully encrypted BestCrypt system.

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

seemed to install ok but couldn't log on to games, internet etc . Took for ever to turn off - had to push reset. will restore image and try again.

15. icore

icore Registered Member

Hi.
    Thanks for trying out iCore Virtual Accounts.
    Sometimes this problem arises because some antiviruses block iCore.
    You can try to enter when you turn off antivirus or wait a week-two weeks for the new version of iCore.
    But can you attach log-file to message in this forum thread or send log-file to support(at)icoresoftware.com ? It must be located in Program Files\iCore Software\iCore Computer 3-in-1\iCore.log A developers of our staff will review it and reply.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Hi

I think I found the problem. I didn't have "Use fast User Switching" checked.
    After a restore and re-install I got in BUT then found explorer wouldn't work- got a message saying was on another part of the network.

another problem - I run from a very small partition and got not enough space left error messages . Will need to enlarge my partition.

Looks very interesting but I will need to read the manual.

:argh: :argh: :argh: Turn off Antivirus !!!!!! I did some years ago and never regreted it.

will send a log when I next get time to install. Thanks - interesting program

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Looks interesting ... will check it out ...
    Mrk

18. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Does it support reboot program like shadow user.o_O

19. icore

icore Registered Member

Thanks for feedback!
    When you will have free time, please send the log file.

20. icore

icore Registered Member

Hi.
    Please explain in detail what do you mean.
    Thanks.

21. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Apparently:
    Sounds good to me :thumb: Roll on Vista version.

22. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Does icore support programs to remain after reboot or it clears all data in the login after restart ,like all virtual progs do,o_Oo_O??
    i used this prog 2 months back and again 1 week back ,i found it very slow.Yes i know it takes 3+ minutes.

23. icore

icore Registered Member

Hi.

software installed in virtual does remain and work after reboot.
    The new version will be significantly faster boot!

Thanks.

24. raakii

raakii Registered Member

ok i try the new version if its faster.

25. icore

icore Registered Member

excellent! =)
    Our devteam have promised to release a new version next week or in a week.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.