ICMP Echo(ping) problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by strid3r, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strid3r

strid3r Registered Member

While performing a "Shields Up" from grc.com test, the only test I failed was the ICMP Echo test (see below). What type of rule can be created to pass this test?

"Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."

I am not using any router and i also checked it through using my mobile internet and still the same problem, obviously it is not the internet problem.
    Any explanation.

2. kingaljr

kingaljr Registered Member

Hi,nobody else replyed and I thought I"d add my 2 cents.Who cares,In my case my isp pings constantly and that is not a problem,that is how computers talk to each other.Shields Up is over rated in my HO.Any solid firewall will do the job.I happen to think the firewall in ESET is all I want,It does the job and keeps the bad boys out.I really get a kick out of all these people wetting their pants about leak tests and ping thingies,what ever happened to safe surrfing.

3. kingaljr

kingaljr Registered Member

BTW.I have used the Sunbelt Kerio and PC TOOLS and Kaspersky firewall and they all failed the the same test.

4. strid3r

i think you dont know much about internet, the ping you are talking about is not that ping, it is total diff. Term that ping is used for internet speed. Btw it is not problem for you but it will be for those who are website owner. And those who are not replying are because they dont know any answers understand. And i dont have any interest to falsifying eset's security, i just have problem thats why i m posting.

Cheer

5. Stormboy

Stormboy Registered Member

What is your firewall zone set to, that's only thing I can think of it's set to trusted like your local network.
    I could test but I am on a router :)

6. Stormboy

Stormboy Registered Member

mm I just did a DMZ port forward to my PC did the scan at GRC
    I could only get them to report closed ie Blue and that is with the ESS firewall off with it on I get Stealth no matter what the zone is set to.
    Sorry I am not much more help :)

7. strid3r

ok thanks m8 and my firewall is set to strict zone. I just want to know that is it alright. :)

8. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

This link may explain why.

9. strid3r

ok thanks m8... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.