IBM T60 notebooks log in very slow aftern NOD32 install

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by duijv023, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

Last week, I installed NOD32 on one of my customers' network.
    Version 2.71 on windows XP-PRO SP2 fully patched.
    All desktops work very fine, exept for two notebooks (IBM T60)
    When these notebooks start, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to fully start Windows. :mad:
    After startup, everything is OK. Shutdown takes also a very long time

The settings I use are >90% ~ like blackspear's settings.
    At this customers' network, update is not using HTTP but just networkshare-based. This is because the actual update server is a MS small business server with IIS, sharepoint portal and OWA active. Update login uses the system-user. The notebooks are 95% used on the LAN only, but they have a second update profile, which auto-connects to any ESET update server across the internet.
    I can try using this profile on the LAN, but there i need to use their Proxyserver. So I will have to use the proxyserver-settings, and in that case it is more difficult to the users. :doubt:

FTR: they use all kinds of IBM pre-installed tools (IBM securedisk, IBM securitymanager and so on). I think one of these tools is responsible for these annoying delays.

anyway, tomorrow I will be there again and I'm going to troubleshoot this one.
    If anybody recognizes this, please post your experience, and hopefully... solutions :D

Greetings from a windy Holland

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

3. duijv023

Yes, I did a quick check on Trendmicro left-overs.
    I also did a cleanup with ccleaner.
    I will try the winsock repair procedure, so I hope that the tuesday will bring some light in this dark road ;-)

thanks anyway for thinking with me!

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome ! Post back the results , hope it helps and do a second check on Trend Micro (drivers , registry , processes...)

5. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

hello 'xxxxx023', you mentioned IBM 'SecurityManager'?

Is that 'SecurityManager' by TIVOLI o_O If so, it maybe the culprit against slow starup/shutdown. Tivoli's "sm" is a system/process authentication type of oem-app.

Test by shutting OFF "sm" on local mode while boot up/down with NOD on, repeat test with 'sm' & NOD on all together and observe process.

'Tivoli "sm" is integrated with other IBM security products, so understand the whole aspects before immobilizing it for the benefit of one other 3rd-party app or you may be sued for 'liability'.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, please try uninstalling the IBM Wireless Access software to see if the issue is resolved.

Cheers :D

7. duijv023

"Ladies and gentlemen, we've got him!!" (c) paul Bremer :D

Problem was the IBM (=safeguard) private disk application.
    After exlusions made in AMON ( the_private_disk_file.vol and IBM safeguard program folder), startup is normal.
    Mounting and dismounting goes very quick now.

So, I have 2 happy users again :)

Greetings from Holland

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Congratulations!!! :thumb: :D :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.