IBM R&R ate my HD ..!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This might be an old chestnut to more experienced members but I recently got a good deal on an IBM desktop or two for work and home.

Installing XPPro 'lean', IBM utilities came with the system; didn't pay that much attention: didn't specifically config any of those tools: doh..
    FDISR and couple of snaps..working..not really paying attention...then..
    Doing an image backup ..wtf..where's my space ??
    What's this 30G to be imaged ?? :eek:
    Hhmm, thought I'd deleted all that pRon :shifty: : eeek is that the polis at the door?
    :D

Anyway looking, looking : whats this RRbackups that I cant get into : aregh Rootkit or somesuch..googly..ahhh: IBM Rescue and Recovery on a schedule !!
    Quietly eaten all my space on HD
    deleted the backups before I could post a screenie: but the last R&R image after creating a couple of FDISR snaps was 14G
    This then of course got into the FDISR snap updates :eek:
    = BIG snapshots, long time for new snaps and Image utilities

OK so I'm a bit slow on the uptake...:ouch:

So: moral : if you have a native Lenovo Laptop or other IBM Desktop : Visit the RnR control console.
    Rebooted: The next FDISR update/copy removed 15G !!! from the secondary snap: Good result :)
    ;)

Interesting How IBM locks even admins out of those files. :cautious:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Adric

Adric Registered Member

R&R has been a dog ever it first came out. The first thing I do is to uninstall it if
    it happens to be on a system that I buy. There is just so much better stuff around
    than that.

Al

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

There may be some use to it as I have seen it do a better job than System Restore, but, R&R doesnt really add anything to my system as I have other built in redundancy systems.
    Plus, obviously if the hd goes poof what's the point of the RnR backups = false security.

I just had to laugh at myself re "hey where's my disc gone" not a big issue with a 140G 'C' drive but....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.