IBM R&R ate my HD ..!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This might be an old chestnut to more experienced members but I recently got a good deal on an IBM desktop or two for work and home.

Installing XPPro 'lean', IBM utilities came with the system; didn't pay that much attention: didn't specifically config any of those tools: doh..
    FDISR and couple of snaps..working..not really paying attention...then..
    Doing an image backup ..wtf..where's my space ??
    What's this 30G to be imaged ?? :eek:
    Hhmm, thought I'd deleted all that pRon :shifty: : eeek is that the polis at the door?
    :D

Anyway looking, looking : whats this RRbackups that I cant get into : aregh Rootkit or somesuch..googly..ahhh: IBM Rescue and Recovery on a schedule !!
    Quietly eaten all my space on HD
    deleted the backups before I could post a screenie: but the last R&R image after creating a couple of FDISR snaps was 14G
    This then of course got into the FDISR snap updates :eek:
    = BIG snapshots, long time for new snaps and Image utilities

OK so I'm a bit slow on the uptake...:ouch:

So: moral : if you have a native Lenovo Laptop or other IBM Desktop : Visit the RnR control console.
    Rebooted: The next FDISR update/copy removed 15G !!! from the secondary snap: Good result :)
    ;)

Interesting How IBM locks even admins out of those files. :cautious:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Adric

Adric Registered Member

R&R has been a dog ever it first came out. The first thing I do is to uninstall it if
    it happens to be on a system that I buy. There is just so much better stuff around
    than that.

Al

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

There may be some use to it as I have seen it do a better job than System Restore, but, R&R doesnt really add anything to my system as I have other built in redundancy systems.
    Plus, obviously if the hd goes poof what's the point of the RnR backups = false security.

I just had to laugh at myself re "hey where's my disc gone" not a big issue with a 140G 'C' drive but....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.