IBM Lenovo T60 Slow Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nuschu, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuschu

nuschu Registered Member

Has anyone else had problems with Acronis and other imaging software running very slow when used on IBM Lenovo laptops?

So far I've created images on at least three different T60 based models and every one of them took upwards of 8 hours to create a full backup (60GB total drive size - 8GB in use) whereas the Dell computers we used to use with hard drives of similar size would take 1-2 hours at the very most. I've tried switching the BIOS SATA config from AHCI to Compatibility but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Right now I'm trying it with AHCI to Compatibility and I disabled Predesktop per this thread:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=28519&sid=2f7a4797462c660599e90cb81657baa9

I also set it to Normal compression but it's still telling me 6 hours. Along with the long amount of time, the other T60 backups I've tried also don't seem to quote the correct amount of space and usually end up taking up more space.
    I'm basically just trying to do an initial image so I can setup a bunch of these things. I nuked the extra FAT32 IBM tools partition so it's just a single NTFS XP partition.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

8 gigs of used space to make an Image backup should take but a few minutes. Even your Dells are taking a long time ... what version and build of True Image are you using?

3. nuschu

nuschu Registered Member

Im creating the image from a boot cd created from 9.1 build 3718

Now it's gone up to 9 hours since I started. It first said 6, then an hour later went to 5, then 8, and now 9 hours. This is over 100mb ethernet connection to a shared drive on the same switch. So I can understand any network lag, but not 9 hours worth of network lag. Every T60 I try does this, the Dells were usually an hour or less and I always scratched that up to a network backup and the crappy 5400RPM drives in their smaller Latitude models.

4. nuschu

nuschu Registered Member

To confuse things even more, on the exact same network, using a boot disc from the exact same build of Acronis, I can restore a 70GB partition on an IBM desktop in 12 minutes. There has to be something specific to the configuration of the T60 hardware that is causing this problem.

That IBM T60 is still going and still says 10 hours :) ... I'm going to let the thing run over the weekend and see if it's eventually successful. Regardless it shouldn't take an entire day to image the thing.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Ok, I didn't know this was across a network ... but still, those times are long. If you can, try backing up the T60s to an external usb drive to compare the times.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nuschu,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As I understand, the IBM Lenovo T60 has wireless network adapter. If you connect to network using it, please see this post concerning support of wireless network of standalone version of Acronis True Image.

If you are not using wireless network:

Please download the latest build of the respective Acronis True Image version. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating does not solve the issue, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep drives in question attached during the creation process. If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.
    Please also try creating the backup under Windows, and tell us the results.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.