IBM drops PC manufacture!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This might be old news?

"IBM's personal computer business racked up US$965 million in losses between January 2001 and June 2004 and has sold the business to China's Lenovo Group Ltd expecting to make them the world's third-largest PC maker.

This is sad in many ways because IBM has always been a major innovator in the PC market often producing much more highly specified PCs and Thinkpad notebooks. Now we will see IBM branded PCs and notebooks made by a Chinese manufacturer using the same methods as most other manufacturers - down engineering to build a box to a price. IBM products will no longer have the pedigree they had to command a premium price.

IBM has ranked a distant third among PC vendors worldwide, behind Dell and Hewlett-Packard. Why would IBM seek a gradual exit from the PC business? According to Roger Kay, vice president of client computing with market research company IDC "Quite simply, it's just too difficult to generate steady profits selling PCs. Only Dell's direct-sales model and vigorous inventory management have allowed it to consistently make profits".

IBM will concentrate on its high-end server and software businesses, as well as dramatically expanding its already huge services arm with the 2002 purchase of PwC Consulting. It will still sell Lenovo made, IBM branded PC's and notebooks."

If true, IMO, a geat shame.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

IBM conceived the idea of a computer that could be built using off the shelf components. RIP.
    The pc we use today is basically the same with a few additions.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Too bad...I always considered IBM for a future laptop...

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I know someone who works for IBM in California. Has one of the most amazing laptops you have ever seen.

Jimbob

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Do you think I doubted that IBM didn't make excellent laptops?

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Nope, I've just seen some of the high end IBM machines both with the family friend from California and my dad who works for HSCB and I like.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.