I386 folder contents

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PhilHouston, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilHouston

PhilHouston Registered Member

Hi,
    While running a scan via RAV I noticed as it scanned my HP D:\ drive (C is the primary) and specificly the folder I386, there were hundreds of files with words/ names such as Planning_task_etc, investing, hotspot. Many/most of them had .htm extensions.
    I took a look at the directory but of course it tells me "warning" restore partition and will not show me any contents.

Is this just all the junk one finds and deletes on a new machine or something else?

Thanks

2. PhilHouston

PhilHouston Registered Member

15 lookers and no replies......where was the thread moved to?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I don't have an answer. However, when Windows says warning, I listen. :D

I did a search on my hard drive for i386 and came up with these.

c:\windows\driver cache

c:\windows\servicepackfiles

c:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2

One file is 94mb, another is 258mb.

I did a help search on xp for i386 and found this.

To install the Recovery Console as a startup option
    With Windows running, insert the Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive.
    CLick Start and select Run.
    Type the following where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter:
    D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Follow the instructions on the screen.
    Notes

To run the Recovery Console, restart your computer and select the Recovery Console option from the list of available operating systems.
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    To see the commands available on the Recovery Console, type help at the at the console prompt.
    If your computer will not start, you can run the Recovery Console from the Setup CD. See Related Topics for information on running the Recovery Console when your computer will not start.

I would say Windows uses i386.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

i386 holds the Windows XP source files so that you can reinstall XP from there or you can grab a file from there (if the one XP is using is corrupted) and replace the bad file with the clean one from i386. Plus, with the source files on the hard drive in this folder, you are no longer prompted for insertion of the XP CD when you install new hardware, etc. as XP just grabs the needed files from the i386 folder.

Do you have Windows set up to show all files and folders including hidden, protected ones? If so, you should be able to look at everything in i386 and grab clean files from there. I just did that a couple of days ago when trying to fix a problem with mshtmled.dll.

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I think that is your HP recovery partition that HP uses for system recovery. I have a similar hidden partition/directory on my IBMs.

Nick

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear PhilHouston, nick s is right about that. its your restore partition and you shouldn't fiddle with it. i386 contains backup of some critical files of XP. when you install a service pack you'll notice a similar folder. don't delete it and if possible exclude it from any junk file scanners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.