I want to use comodo firewall AND avast antivirus with FD-ISR. Is that OK?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I have so many questions even after readin this forum from start to finish. I'm confused about the proper antivirus product to use. I prefer the !avast product. Plus I want to also run comodo firewall. However after reading about the "protected" space of these to trap a virus in I was wondering how these protected spaces might not get transferred off to a external USB hard drive correctly if I use IFD/IFW. Anyone.....anyoneo_Oo_O

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure I see the connection to First Defense in your question. If not maybe this post should be move to a better forum.

Pete

3. Horus37

To clarify, I am wondering if there are compatibility issues with the three products running concurrently and then doing an image with IFD/IFW while these applications are on my machine. The antivirus and firewall create a protected space to put caught viruses into that I'm wondering would cause problems when either IFD/IFW does a backup image of whole c: to external USB hdd or if having these protected spaces on two different apps cause problems for FD-ISR when archiving? And would these spaces get corrupted with a defrag even with the defrag from FD makers? Trying to do my first clean backup image and want to get it right. Anyone have all of these running and no problems restoring from external hdd without errors? You can't disable these protected spaces in these products so wondering what antivirus + firewall combo works best and safely with FD-ISR when integrity of backup image is critical.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Horus, I have just done a restore from an FD-ISR archive on an external hardrive with no problems. I have avast, avg antispy and a beta firewall.

5. Peter2150

Programs that created protected stuff can sometime cause issues with First Defense. I know with Process Guard you had to disable it or it's two protected wouldn't copy. That was the reason I ditched it.

Frankly I question the real value of having those protected spaces. If they cause FDISR a problem I'd ditch them. FDISR is more valuable, and you can find other firewalls/av's that don't do that stuff and work just as well.

As to imaging you can always image from the recovery disk or IFD in this case and you won't have issues. Although IFD going to an external USB drive can be awfully slow.

Pete

PS Whatever imaging you use, be sure to find a way to protect your data, and test the restore. Otherwise you really don't have a restore solution.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I found this an interesting topic as I didn't know about the "protected spaces" some apps have.

As FD-ISR is more valuble to me, what apps don't have those spaces?

7. Peter2150

I don't know about Avast. I trialed it, but I might have set it up differently, but I don't remember any FDISR problems. If you don't see any errors during copy/update you don't need to worry.

KAV for one doesn't and the firewall you are using doesn't. Again main thing is not seeing errors during copy/update.

Pete

8. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i cant see fd-isr related issue either....o_O

9. Horus37

The issue is the archive function of FDISR being able or not to copy a protected area correctly into the archive of an external USB hdd from a program on host system that has a protected space setup for captured viruses. Will it or won't it archive correctly and will it get corrupted if a defrag is done with First defense companies defragger?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  10. Peter2150

The archive won't get corrupted, you will just see errors on the copy. The errors will be fixed with a good copy. Same would be true of snapshots.

If you have software causing these problems, if you value FDISR, switch. There are enough good programs that don't cause problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.