I want freeware app to lock specific folders.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Joliet Jake, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Hi,

What I'm looking for is a freeware app to either password protect folders on my hard drive or hide them completely. Anyone know of an easy to use app for this?

Thanks.

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

This may be what you are looking for. Free and simple to use. However, if you are looking for more security, you will want some type of encryption program

.http://www.cleanersoft.com/hidefolder/free_hide_folder.htm

What you may not want is "Folder Lock". I tried this one and it was a pain to get it completely off my machine.

3. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

I won't recommend Free Hide Folder. Used it before. And, it hid all my 'hidden files and folders' even when I've enabled it to 'show hidden files and folders'.

I'm also looking for a freeware app to password-protect and hide files or folders.

Anyone has any to recommend?

4. steve161

So it really does work.

Seriously, I am somewhat surprised to hear that. I never had a problem with Free Hide Folder, and know many that used it without problems. But with these programs, one can never know how it will run on any given computer.

5. Joliet Jake

Cheers guys. The hide folder works well!

6. spider_darth

No problems with showing hidden files and folders in windows explorer?

Good for you.

Might be my PC which is causing the prob then. But, when I uninstalled that program, the hidden files and folders are all visible once again. Weird.

And as I said earlier, does anyone know of any other hide folder freeware which I can use?

7. Joliet Jake

Yeah no probs so far. Maybe you did something with the set up??

8. spider_darth

9. Joliet Jake

10. steve161

Good use of the search function there Spider_darth. While I still know people using it without this problem, it is obviously a problem not limited to your comp. At least it is good to know that an uninstall returns your OS to normal. But, It is healthy to have a distrust of any app that makes unintended or uneeded changes to your system. Joliet Jake, if you will, update this post if you run into a similar problem.

11. Joliet Jake

Will do.

12. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

Actually there are a few common programs that will show you any folder and its contents that is hidden with Free Hide Folder. You might even have one of them installed yourself. I would never rely on FHF to keep anything hidden. FHF is more of a program to just have fun with, rather than a serious security program. Just something to keep in mind when using it.

13. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Beware Free Hide Folder....hehe.

Quick note - I had installed Free Hide Folder, and it can have 'unintended consequences'....

I expressly keep all files and folders 'Unhidden'. After using FHF I found that many of my folders had disappeared, as well as the one or two test folders/files that I had played with the app with.

After a complete disinstall, using TUN (Total Uninstall) I still had problems, which is almost unheardof, as TUN is very good.

Long story short tracked down to reg key for 'Superhidden'

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\SuperHidden

FHF had made a number of changes to the defaults in both Hidden and Superhidden reg keys, and it was trial and error for me to get back to my desired default.

If any probs with FHF try find these keys and edit as needed...

cheers

dmc

14. datadata

datadata Registered Member

True !! using image browsing software i was able to see the hidden folder !!

It seems they are using the old trick of renaming the file with some hidden characters or so, that is so lame !! i know this trick of finding hidden folders from years ago !

Free Hide Folder is worthless :thumbd:

Folder Lock is a troubling program,

any similar programs with no side effects o_Oo_O

I used 5.7.9 and made the root in windows and it created the locker in my documents and kept giving me errors about wrong location of the locker ! :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.