I Tried Hiding From Silicon Valley in a Pile of Privacy Gadgets

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Aug 10, 2019.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By Joel Stein

2. guest

guest Guest

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

:rolleyes:

Some of my comments about this on HN were not well received.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20651233

Basically the article is a strawman. He tries using a bunch of stupid gadgets, realizes that it doesn't help much, and decides that it's just too much hassle. And then closes with this:
    So basically, he's just poking fun at people who try being private. And he doesn't even mention compartmentalization. You know, the first rule of Fight Club?

I mean, I have a phone. Admittedly, not a smartphone. But I do call people. Mainly my wife and medical services, but whatever. And I do get tracked, at least by cell towers. But none of that matters, because I don't talk about Mirimir and my other personas.

I use a credit card for Amazon too. But I just don't buy anything that's linked to anything that Mirimir or my other personas are up to. Including the box that I'm typing this on, just in case some jerks are tracking firmware codes.

And the part about "demanding a law" is just foolish. We already have laws, but they're ignored all the time.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Yeh, big-style missing the whole point: technical controls are a small part of any solution, opsec and compartmentalisation are where you major. Glad to see you attending to word patterns and expressions.

I think it will be 50 years before laws catch up with this disaster, that's how long it took with things like food safety and so on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.