I think that my cloud was hacked.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by razorboy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

I've recently started using pcloud, my first experience with cloud storage. It seems good, allowing one to cherry pick files and drop them onto the "p drive" which pcloud has created on the windows directory tree. From there they are uploaded.... sometime.

This morning, there was a 'Windows' red "!" on the p drive, so I clicked, and the 'pictures' folder in my cloud files had a bunch of weird image files with "!" icons telling me that they were urgent. The titles seemed weird, but I don't recall the names of every picture I have every up or down loaded, so (stupidly) I clicked on one, and got a (real) Windows response to the effect that Windows could not open the file because the file claimed to be a .jpg but wasn't. (The titles, once I thought about it, were likely English version of Chinese thought: Good Future, Romantic Love, etc..) At that point I tried to investigate and the thing crashed, locked up, and I had to shut down via Task manager.

When I got going again, pdrive was gone, wiped out. The pcloud software survived, and I scanned all with MSE and Malwarebytes, no dirt showed.

I think that some ignorant little criminal hacked the cloud and left garbage strewn about in order to infect computers. Fortunately, it didn't work on my box, but it certainly gives me concern about cloud service in general. I have not advised pcloud yet.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I won't be logging in to try them anytime soon after your report.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.