I think I'll take the Sandboxie plunge! A few questions.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Yes, sandboxie, returnil, and Ghost 2003 is all I use, with an occasional spin with SAS just to see if it catches anything after doing some risky surfing. However its always in the back of my mind that something low level could get through and remain unharmed by low level wipes and system restores.......:eek: granted going back to a clean snap shot is cool however that thing in the back of my mind likes to remain safe and dormant until an active OS is detected....:eek:

2. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I'm not really sure. Before this I used Sandboxie 2.64 and never had a problem with it. A while back I installed a newer version of Sandboxie and enountered some problems that made it basically unusable, so uninstalled it and reinstalled 2.64. Then, I decided to take the newest version for a spin. The one thing I noticed is that there seemed to be some major conflicts between Sandboxie and any other security app that ran at kernel level. For example, after installing Sandboxie, I could not start SSM at all. Every time I tried to start SSM I would get a BSOD. So I thought the conflict was between SSM and Sandboxie. I decided to uninstall the newest version of Sandboxie and reinstall 2.64, since there seemed to be no conflicts with it. However, when I attempted to uninstall Sandboxie, about halfway through the uninstall I received the BSOD. So, I decided to boot into Safe Mode and attempt to uninstall it. After booting into Safe Mode, the uninstall went smoothly, or so I thought. However, at that point I could no longer boot into normal Windows mode. At the boot screen, I would select the normal boot into Windows option, but it would simply continue to boot into Safe Mode, no matter what I selected. And, I could not access my CDRom or obtain Internet access, even when selecting the Safe Mode with Networking option. So at this point, I'm puzzled. I know one thing, and that is I'm going to just stick with my regular apps and forget the virtualization route. I'm tired of having to reinstall all my apps, and being on dial-up connection (which is the only thing available out in the boonies where I live), it has been a lot of fun re-downloading a bunch of stuff. I'm playing it safe from here on out and sticking with what has worked for me.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I completely follow that frustration.

Sandboxie gave my unit fits no matter what version i tried, untill this latest one. Good for me i guess right?

One thing i noticed though is that when i have several IE windows open and only one or 2 Sandboxied, a lot of times some of those IE windows go OFF_AIR. Now it's but a simple matter to press REFRESH to start them again, but this is something i'm experiencing with it. Otherwise, matters seem OK at the moment on this end.

4. 37morris8

37morris8 Registered Member

============================================================
    see eEye.com .if back door is open still get in like vister & IE 7 Sand not work.

5. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I am also using unregistered sandboxie very often now and I have a question:

I use babylon all the time to help me in various translations. If you have babylon you set a shortcut (default Ctrl+Right Click) and when you press Ctrl+RightClick on a word, the babylon window pops up with various translations and synonyms for that word. The only case that this is not working is with my browser sandboxed. Can I overcome this?

6. Spy_Killer

Spy_Killer Registered Member

[One thing i noticed though is that when i have several IE windows open and only one or 2 Sandboxied, a lot of times some of those IE windows go OFF_AIR. Now it's but a simple matter to press REFRESH to start them again, but this is something i'm experiencing with it.]

Hello, I am also a new user of the program and registered yesterday. I am becoming more familiar with it. I was just wondering how to get it where several IE windows are open with only one or 2 sandboxed? The install went uneventful, but I really haven't had a chance to try out very much as yet.

7. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

You have to not set IE to forced programs, so you will launch IE sandboxed (twice) by right-clicking on the icon and then choose run sandboxed IE.

Then you launch any other IE windows from your desktop shortcut.

PS welcome

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Latest Experimental Version: Sandboxie 3.01.21 is available for downloading from the "Official Version 3.00 and Later" thread.

Seems quite stable here on XP and Vista.

SB's Forum

SB Extra Setting?

9. Spy_Killer

Spy_Killer Registered Member

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Same here: we are all behind a hardware router with firewall

PC1: (aim as less as possible pop-ups, clear instructions)
    DefenseWall, A2 IDS, WinPooch (registry startup locations of Toni Klein only)

PC2: kids PC (protection + configurable)
    GeSWall Pro + CyberHawk Pro (now ThreatFire free with custom rules)

PC3: Vista64 bit PC (Gamer)
    HauteSecure, PRSC, Avast free (only on incoming streams check of Internet and P2p, standard shield checks only on file write, not read and on -execution), running in quite UAC mode with 32 bit installer recognition disabled.

So no software firewall and Anti-Virus, just Sandbox + Behavior Blocker.
    PC1 (P2P, Safe surfing) and PC2 (I do not want to know) are clean for over a year (check with Bitdefender before image and data backup). PC3 is just running with Avast until one of the proven Sandboxes/Virtualisation programs go Vista64. I have not made my mind up on HauteSecure.

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.