I think I broke it...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Notok, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I have PG on a system running XP Pro with multiple users. I used fast user switching to go into the admin account to change some settings in the services, when I switched over I didn't notice until it was too late that the UI had not connected to pgaccount.exe/procguard.exe (the UI only had the main tab and everything was greyed out) before I tried starting services.msc (which was not been run since installing PG, so it wasn't in the 'security' list.) So I tried starting the task manager (also not in the list) and explorer completely froze up on me. Now when I go into the admin account, PG won't load, won't alert me to any new progs starting, or anything. Under the user account it seems to be working normally, however, just not in the admin account. Services still won't start, and taskman still locks up explorer. Any ideas?

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

yeah i was wondering about that

is that normal cause in tenford i posted that

none of my security except norton and boclean showed up when i switch usser acounts process guard was gone it wasnt on the start up list or anything

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I didn't check to see if it was still on the startup list, but trying to start it manually doesn't work either..

4. Open Source

Open Source Registered Member

I'm betting its gone right.

Does this mean that process guard does not work on any other accounts other then the one it has been installed on?

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

ProcessGuard v3.000 is designed to work on multiple accounts (though the procguard.exe interface is only available in the accont which installed it), you will get execution requests in every account for instance.

I will have to try this scenario which correct me if I am wrong is this :-
    1) Install ProcessGuard using admin account
    2) Reboot a few times and basically configure the program
    3) One time start the PC in another account instead of the admin one
    4) Fast user switch to the admin account.

6. Open Source

Open Source Registered Member

Interesting will this be fixed in the final?

Or well it be added to a help-file on how to bypass this problem?

Seems very minor.

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Nope, it's still there. The UI simply won't come up, and it seems that if I run something (it now seems ANYTHING, allowed or not), then explorer gets locked up. I would assume that it's trying to crash, but Dr Watson can't run (for the same reason.) If I run taskman from the user account, it comes right up. If I run Windows Media Player, it asks whether to allow or deny. If I switch to the admin account (by logging off, I'm not going to press my luck with fast user switching) either of them hard locks it. I'm hesitant to play with this any more since I have to hard boot each time. I just recently reformatted this machine and just about everything is completely up to date except motherboard drivers (which I believe are only 1 revision behind, but is a good part of why I'm going into the admin accout in the first place.)

Unfortunately this puts me in a bind. I'm unable to access/change the settings that I think are probably responsible for what's going on and I can't remove it. If I try to uninstall PG from safe mode I get a message saying that "..unins000.dat could not be opened. Cannot uninstall. Error 5: Access is denied" both with the uninstaller in the start menu and from add/remove programs.

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You need to disable protection before you can uninstall. Try that, uninstall and reinstall, with a reboot in between of course

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Jason: That's about right. To give clearer perspective: this is on my girlfriend's machine. I installed PG in the admin account, rebooted, let it go in learning mode while she used the machine for a day, rebooted, ran a few things I knew I/it would need (dr watson, task manager, notepad, winamp, various other common things), went through the protection list, then enabled all options and disabled protection.

Apparently when I switched over to admin from the user account using 'fast user switching' is when the UI wouldn't connect(?). After rebooting the UI wouldn't even start up, and running anything(?) in explorer, apparently whether or not it's already in the list, causes explorer to completely lock, not allowing a soft power down. Trying to load services.msc, however, just doesn't work, it's not until something is selected in the start menu that it freezes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  10. Gavin - DiamondCS

PGAccount DOES run in user accounts to deliver prompts.. have you sorted this out yet ? sounds like a configuration error more than a problem with the design. Can you check your setup and uninstall/reinstall please ?

Email us if you cant get it working right, and walk us through the steps you made please ! Carefully note what you do and be methodical and if there is a problem we can reproduce and fix it :)

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Are you reffering to procguard.exe? When I try to start the UI from the user account it just says it's initializing forever.. I thought it was normal to not be able to start the UI from any but the admin account.

I guess the problem that I've failed to make clear is that
    *I can't get into Process Guard to change anything.*

By this I mean the UI will simply not run. Not at startup, and not on demand.

The only new things I've noticed is that the last 2 things in the startup will not run either (Prevx and Qwik-Fix)

and

If I wait long enough before doing anything, then trying to run ANY program will lock up explorer on the first try, no matter what I try to run. I previously thought it was either the second attempt at trying to run anything, or trying to run only certain things, but it now seems like Windows tries to get PG started but it doesn't do anything until it eventually freezes and won't let anything run at all.

SO, to reiterate where I am now; I can't get into the UI to change anything, I can't run anything at all in the admin account to give you any further information, I can't uninstall PG even in safe mode, and obviously I can't perform any admin tasks (which presents a real problem.)

DCSUserProt/PGAccount seems to be working normally in the user account, but I can't make any changes.

I'm assuming that at this point I will have to uninstall PG the hard way, which I will try to get to this weekend and e-mail you if I have further problems. I apologize if I understated the problem here, but PG hard locking the admin account isn't exactly a minor issue. Disabling protection was my first inclination, that's how I found out the UI wasn't working in the first place (in the admin account.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  12. Jason_DiamondCS

I will be trying what I outlined today and will give some further feedback later if need be. You should be able to run the uninstaller in Safe Mode since protection is not active in that mode.

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

See #7...
    If I try to uninstall PG from safe mode I get a message saying that "..unins000.dat could not be opened. Cannot uninstall. Error 5: Access is denied" both with the uninstaller in the start menu and from add/remove programs.

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Delete procguard.sys from Safe Mode and then can you uninstall in any account ? If not, just delete the other files too. Protection will be gone with procguard.sys deleted anyway, solving your problem for now. We're running some more tests.

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hopefully I can get to that tonight. Between holding a wake, finding out that I've been electrocuting my fish by some mysterious means, and nursing the hangover from said wake, my weekend was a little full, lol.

I'll attempt to delete the files and maybe reinstall (unless you think I should wait) and let you know how it goes.

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Okay, got it uninstalled and reinstalled.. so all is well so far. I was actually able to uninstall normally from safe mode, I had just neglected to switch to the admin account in safe mode previously, lol duh. It did, however, affect both Prevx and Qwik-Fix somehow, I had to reinstall both of them.

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Were you able to identify and resolve this, or can you use a little more input?

18. Jason_DiamondCS

Well I did "experience" this issue, and with the latest versions it does not happen anymore. So hopefully it will be also fixed for you in the FINAL. :)

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Good to hear. I found my way around it this time (not being distracted with funerals and killing your own pets does wonders for clarity of mind, lol) but it's actually nice to know that it's a moot point now. Thanks tons, and can't wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.