I still say Avira did great with a suite for Vista

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

At coming to the table with a complete ready Vista suite. I realize I cant state what is wrong with others, but Avira has done a damn good job, with putting together a light, effective, protective and in my own thoughts, the best suite going today, together.:thumb:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

joe? ..... hmm, there you go :)

avira do have a promising antivirus, but i still feel they should improve their engine and maybe do a re-write of certain things, and fix their software bugs first before entering into more technologys.

every release seems to bring problems to a numerous amount of people jeff, including yourself.

as for a suite, i still aint too sure.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

IMO I think their firewall could be better. I do realize its new though.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Nice testimonial. But what's the purpose? Are you looking for someone to argue with?

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI WSF,

How did you arrive at that? I am not arguing, but just trying to learn about the suite. Are there some firewall tests that establish the best ones?

Does the firewall cause too many pop-ups or is it porous?

Thanks,
    Jerry

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

One thing that was mildly annoying with the firewall in the suite was that it seemed to take quite some time before a popup would appear when a new app wanted internet access. I'm talking perhaps 8-10 seconds. No idea why it takes so long, or if this is something that happens on my machine only, but it was unusually long for a firewall prompt.. needs looking into anyway..

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think I had to set the firewall to High to get stealthed status and also the Low/Medium/High settings arent in the usual Options area.

I didnt keep the suite for long, as I wasnt particularly impressed.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

I think Avira's AV engine is top notch, its detection rates among the best, as for its firewall, I would say its among the most unobtrusive and light with far less severe BSOD causing bugs than other veterans as well as new firewalls.

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

The thing I personally don't like about Avira's firewall, and one of the reasons I no longer use it, is that you have to create a rule just to make it pass the ShieldsUp test. Just setting it to High doesn't do it. I think a firewall should be able to pass the ShieldsUp test with it's default settings. I think the Avira forum should have been a little more straight forward about letting customers know about this, and making this rule readily available.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And one of the things they have said is, this was their next area of improvement.. So I think that and maybe something new, are whats on the horizon for rhem. Now if I can just get them to add a heading for mailguard when you would right click on the tray icon, it would make things much easier setting your spam.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No, just been dead of late.;)

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

numerous posts removed.

Please use our Report Bad Post function concerning any questionable threads or posts.

Thanks,
    Bubba

13. wdh2313

wdh2313 Registered Member

Lol promising antivirus thats funny considering that it's top antivirus on av-compartives has been or top 3 for awhile,they don't need to rewrite the av engine it is great and i will take a 99.45% detection anytime. And very low system resources lower then nod32 that i use. So i am happy with it and will continue to use it. Any avira programmers or employees in these forums you guys have the best av program out their you guys rock keep up the great job. By the way pc users that use any av software or software have problems you can't judge software that way all pc's act different,software conflicts with other software not everybody downloads the same software thats why things happen.That why it happen to some and not all.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, a promising antivirus

but i still think they need to work on their engine and their countless problems that many have.

and this is a suite thread, and it just does not match up to what-else is available.

maybe work on their removal too.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Tell me which AV is trouble freeo_O? I have Avira or XP32, XP63 and 2003, the 2003 being quad core, the 2K an ancient dual XEON 850, the XP64 a AMD dual core 4200 PC, as much variety as one can get, not a single problem with either of them and all are running Avira, as for their suite, I have to say, its still the least bloated and causes far less trouble and once configured right, it gives as good a protection as anything else plus as I said before, you get the best protection from the AV included, something other suites can't really offer.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

are you sure? o_O

i believe there are suites available with 'as good' detection, better support for packers, better removal, better firewall and better spam detection, i believe avira is counting on detection to pull the wool over peoples eyes, as do eset with their heuristics.

its all propaganda, to produce an increase in sales. Money Money Money ;)

other than detection, i could not say avira has 'excellent' anything.

17. wdh2313

wdh2313 Registered Member

Even so the suite as trjam said they did a damn good job is the best out there. Ii've trial them all and prefer avira suite has low system resources they know what they are doing. As for the suite the webscanner i couldn't even tell it was running it is that good. The only reason im not using it is the price. Don't have the money for at the moment. Like i said in my other post avira is the best.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Please name a few if you would then....

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

@wdh2313

sure if you like it, run it ;)

similar reason why i dont :eek:

yes, avira is a light antivirus/suite. :thumb:

also, i really aint sure what trjam prefers.

@Kerodo i wont name them all,, but kaspersky is one.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

KAV has its share of problems, recent CHKDSK for one and many others in past, like Avira they improve constantly and their detection rates aren't any better than Avira and KAV suite slows my system down.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, sorry, but I won't go near KAV anymore. I did like it at one time, but after the Chkdsk issue it's just not worth the risk when you have Avira. IMO, no product should ever touch the file system in any way, harmful or otherwise, what they do could and should have been stored in some database rather than risking chaos with the file system.. I don't know the details, but I have heard enough to scare me away forever. Sorry, but KAV is not better at all...

Please name others if you have any....

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

norton
    avg
    f-secure

there really are many, that i would label as a 'suite' over aviras, it just feels like the antivirus with poor parts just stuck on.

it really annoys me that avira add 'medicore' parts to a promising antivirus, and label it a suite.

does avira even scan for different packers? i cant understand the hugh amount of signatures.

maybe they dont, or is poor..... i just think they should do a re-write like norton did, mainly for the internal stuff

you know what i mean?

it just doesnt feel right to me, but thats just my opinion, so dont take it too harshly and start having a go at me :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  23. Arup

Arup Guest

As for money money money, biggest hype is KAV, it has done some serious damage to systems and yet it is peddled everywhere, Avira only now launched a promo, KAV was doing it with AOL long while back, everyone is onto propaganda, thats how they survive, dont' even bring Norton to the same league as Avira suite, Norton with over 500 reg entries is bloat by all standards, avg and fsecure cant get anywhere near the detection rates of Avira.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

:eek: lol

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I have used Norton and like it (oddly enough!). I think Avira is just as good though. AVG I believe is next to having nothing, so I don't like that one. F-Secure I tried once and found strange errors in my event viewer so I removed it quickly.

I have been using the Avira Suite for a few weeks now since the freebie offer, and I like it a lot. The AV I feel is top notch. After all, detection IS the name of the game right? Who cares about features and packers and all the gory details if the end result (detecting the badness) is not achieved? Avira does as well as the "best" in tests, so I trust it to be top notch.

The firewall is a little unorthodox, but seems fine so far. I am behind a router, so am not concerned with inbound, just want a little outbound, even if it's not 100% sure to catch every crazy thing. The http scanner is excellent, no slowdowns at all, fastest one I have ever seen.

All "suites" have their weaknesses. There is always the strong component it is based on (AV for Avira and KIS) and then the weaker add-on firewall. In the ZA Suite, it's a stronger firewall and was a weaker AV. Anyway, the firewall in KIS is certainly no more impressive than the Avira Suite firewall. If they get the job done that's all that's needed.

Ram usage is the least I've ever seen in ANY suite. 30mb consistenely, there are no others that can touch that. KIS maybe good, but I just won't go near it anymore due to the reasons I posted above.

So this is my MY opinion also. There's no need for a war, but I don't think you should be calling Avira substandard junk either. IMO, it's up there with the best of them easily...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.