I own Defensewall and SandboxIE But Haven't Made Up My Mind Which To Use

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by apathy, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hello,

I love Defensewall and Sandboxie. I think more people should support their products. What I have questions about is which would be allow me to use Firefox unmolested(Making basic changes like passwords/bookmarks and keeping session information) and which runs faster on my 3 year old laptop. I would like the said products to block major upgrades to Firefox but at the same time not get in the way of doing normal things in Firefox. I will rely on the community here and follow your lead by consensus.

Hat tip to both developers on making an excellent and low cost product.

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Use both :D There are no conflicts between them so enjoy solid protection :)

However DW does not molest FF as much as Sandboxie. But in the new version of Sandboxie it is much easier to do a recovery of everything :)

3. illicit

illicit Registered Member

Agreed. Use both. :thumb:

4. apathy

apathy Registered Member

There's another question:

Let's say I use sandboxie, will my Firefox/Shiretoko profile be complete or
    will there be in the sandbox folder bits of my profile? That wouldn't be good for me.

5. Jaki

Jaki Guest

Sandboxie is my only love therefore, chose defensewall, please. :D

Peace.

6. illicit

illicit Registered Member

If I understand you correctly, then no, your profile will not be in the sandbox. It is stored in its typical location (c:/...appdata/firefox/etc...). So any changes you make to addons, etc will be gone when you empty the sandbox.

7. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I see I am going to have to use Returnil and run each one to see which one I like best.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just use both. Run the browser sandboxed and run sandboxie and the browser with limited rights using defensewall.

9. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I had this choice a while ago. I eventually chose Sandboxie and I also use Firefox exactly the way you mention.

The trick is to set some options in Sandboxie to allow Direct Access to the Firefox profile folder.

This is done by going to the sandbox settings and navigate to;

Resource Access > File Access > Direct Access

Then under "This list above applies to", select firefox.exe or add it first using "Add Pgm" if needed

Then click the "Add" button and navigate to your Firefox profile folder and choose the files that you want to save like normal when you browse. Since you use Shiretoko then it will be based on Firefox 3.

Firefox 3 and above uses sqlite files to store things like history, cookies, passwords, and bookmarks. So what I did was add a setting that would allow direct access to all sqlite files in my Firefox profile.

The image I attached is a screenshot of what my settings look like.

I also added the adblockplus folder so that my adblock filters can update themselves without sandboxing problems. I then also added "prefs.js" so that my preferences are saved.

So these three things I added to the "Direct Access" option in Sandboxie won't have any effects of sandboxing. If I add a bookmark while Firefox is sandboxed, it'll be saved just as if Firefox wasn't sandboxed. Only these three things are effected this way and everything else such as major updates or the cache are sandboxed and emptied properly as expected.

Attached Files:

10. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Thanks much,

That was exactly what I was looking for.
    I setup mine up the exactly the same way
    and testing it out in Returnil.

11. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I still say you should use DW and Sandboxie....

12. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Ok I got Sandboxie to use Firefox just the way I like it. Is the direct method still somewhat secure? Also I would like to know how to stop sandboxie from trying to sandbox an application such as utorrent.

Thanks for all the help

EDIT: Using DW&Sandboxie together is way too much for me and I gave it a shot.

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

What do you mean by "direct method"? If you mean the default setup for Firefox it still should be very secure. Or are you talking about direct access to the bookmarks. If so, it's also ok :).

Sandboxie should only sandbox what you tell it to. It's just a safe place to run specified programs. Normally you specify them by creating a sandboxie shortcut or by right clicking them and selecting "run sandboxed".

14. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Anyone know how I can configure sandboxie to write updates, add-ons and updates to add-ons directly to the HD? I know how to get to the direct access page I just dont know where to find the files for the add-ons KeyScrambler, NoScript and Adblockplus for FF 3.05.

15. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Yup,

I meant direct access. I made sandboxie use direct access on a few extensions. As far running other programs I downloaded a torrent from ubuntu.com and instead of my utorrent which was running coming up another utorrent clone showed up but it was sandboxed. How can I stop that from happening?

Edit: Dregg Heda, open up your firefox profile folder and go to the extensions page. Inside the extensions folder is always the chrome jar which has the name of the extension. I had to do that myself tonight.

16. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I also have direct access to adblockplus patterns.

I see what you mean about utorrents now. Your clicking a utorrent link while running a sandboxed Firefox. I don't know how to stop it, hopefully some else can help. I do know that it's normal because if I click a pdf, Foxit Reader will run sandboxed. If utorrent will run sandboxed, you should be able to recover the file. You can also specify which folders that are made available for recovery.

quickrecovery.JPG

You can also enable Immediate Recovery so you will get a prompt when a file is created.

17. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

apathy:

Hmmm...somethings not right...when I open the extensions folder all I see is a folder with its name consisting of a long line of alphabets and numbers in brackets. When I open this folder all I see is a file 'install.rdf'. Whats going on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.