I only want threat emails!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by aluminex, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluminex

aluminex Registered Member

What settings need to be applied for me to receive only threat emails from clients. I don't want to receive event notifications such as. %computername% did not update successfully etc...

For instance,

I would like the clients to send me an email with the following information.

(a) There is a threat.

(b) The type of threat, object, etc...

(c) action taken

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Have you tried bumping up the minimum verbosity setting for the notifications? Cranking that up to Critical Warnings should do what you want.

3. aluminex

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if it is possible to trigger this alert somehow without actually having a threat obviously... but being able to trigger it for testing before rollout would be nice.

4. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Have you tried downloading EICAR on a client PC? EICAR is a file that is harmless but most AV detect it as a virus for the purposes of testing and demonstration.

www.eicar.org - top right "Anti Malware Test file". Read the page and the links are near the bottom.

5. aluminex

Smacky, if I am not mistaken this will also tell me every time someone can't connect to the server or if a AV program fails correct?

6. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I believe critical warnings include threats that cannot be automatically cleaned, portions of the scanning kernel being disabled/compromised. Basically, things that require manual intervention. Unfortunately, I'm not turning up anything in the KB or documentation that is giving a definite definition on what is included in each of the alerting levels. Maybe a mod or something can clarify on that.

7. aluminex

Based on my threat logs the cleaned after next restart is only a warning. Is there a way to customize these perhaps?

8. aluminex

I did and it worked great. Thank you!

9. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

If you want clients to email you then do the following in Policy manager in the ESET Remote Administrator Console.

Select the + next to Alerts and Notfications

Change your Minimum Verbosity for notifications: Critical Errors...

Anything that does get mixed with Virus information alerts will be things like ESET Antivirus module not loading leaving the computer undetected which could be a sign of infection or something that DOES need to be addressed. :thumb:

10. aluminex

This doesn't pick up any action taken that was "cleaned after next restart"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.