I only want manual file-scanning in my anti-virus. Nothing else.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by paulescobar, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulescobar

paulescobar Registered Member

Is there any decent anti-virus company that offers a manual file-scanning solution?

This would involve a database subscription for updates, some GUI for displaying relevant info, & right-click option for convenient scanning of desired files.

I am a pretty responsible user, and don't want all the bloat* (* I know, subjective) of traditional anti-virus softwares. No background services, injections deep into my OS, or filtering of web stuff.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

most of them can be with some effort (some more some less depending on AV) forced to only do manual scanning disabling other functionality. However disabling AV services might affect cleaning effectiveness.

3. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Avira free, for example. You can opt to install only the modules you want..

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Or Emisoft Anti-malware: you disable the real time scan for the trial period, then it expires and you have only the manual scanner.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Microsoft's Safety Scanner. Download it whenever you want to do a manual scan: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

BTW - there is not much difference overhead wise from this and Emisoft's Anti-Malware. The free version does a complete definition download every time you update it.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN PRO free

7. paulescobar

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did not expect so many options. Looking forward to trying those out. :)

Though I should note, your suggestions do not need to be "free". I am willing to pay for such functionality.

"Cleaning effectiveness" is not a concern for me.
    Everything I run on my OS has been tested on VmWare using an install logger (which records each registry/file modification).
    In this scenario, the anti-virus is merely used to save me time. If something is flagged as "infected", all that means is that I don't waste time testing it.

Hence, in this scenario, the virus definitions & updates are most important.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

There are some with custom install or other ways to prevent realtime protection, but out of the top of my head I know 3 good ones that are out of the box on-demand. Emsisoft Anti-Malware(take the free license option), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(if you buy the Pro version you'll also get update scheduler and you can keep the realtime module disabled), Hitman Pro(if you only use it for right-click scanning you can easily use the free version and delete any infected files yourself.)

Most of these do use a background service though AFAIK, perhaps it can be set to manual but you would have to test if it is then able to start it when necessary. Emsisoft Emergency Kit is an portable version with no services at all, but then you would have to update manually everytime.

9. paulescobar

Thank you for that detailed review.

The Emisoft Emergency Kit seems particularly appealing. I wouldn't mind updating manually.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Emsisoft Antimalware free version and Hitman Pro are no bloat no nonsense rock solid top-notch scanners.:thumb:

11. wallpapers

wallpapers Registered Member

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ free
    -No background services, injections deep into my OS, or filtering of web stuff. (only free version)
    -updates are not automatic in free version but you can set it to warn you if it hasn't been updated in 24h and click on update button in popup dialog.

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Maybe should we go further?...maybe only on-demand scanning of pages that are currently open and scanning of files which we want to download...maybe only VTzilla?
    Or something like METASCAN Toolbar?

13. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Are you looking for something like Clamwin? It doesn't have an on-access scanner at all, unless you choose to add Clam Sentinel separately.

http://www.clamwin.com/

14. paulescobar

I would like to drop by and offer some conclusion.

For my immediate purpose, "Emsisoft Anti-Malware" turned out to be an exceptional solution. It met all the criteria outlined in my original post. I've been using it effectively for the past few months. If I ever need "real time" background monitoring, I will definitely purchase the required subscription.

I also want to thank you all for the various suggestions. In case my requirements change, I will file these away for future consideration.

15. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

click my sig for more recommendations

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

EAM Free + HMP + Malwarebytes :D

17. paulescobar

I have bookmarked your excellent website. Thank you for sharing it!

MalwareBytes does seem interesting. Planning to test it out later, when time permits.

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Try Clamwin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.