I/O Error prevents retore

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by currang2, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. currang2

currang2 Registered Member

While trying to restore from an image I get the message "Restore Failed I/O Error...Drive manager" (I can't remember the exact words).

I'd need to find out whether or not it is a hopeless situation and the image file/drive is corrupt, or what I am doing wrong.

If I can't restore from the image, I would like to recover data and files out of the image file. Is that possible if the backup drive is not totally wrecked.

Fortunately I bought Paragon Backup Pro a few weeks ago and made an image of my HP laptop on WD Essentials 1TB backup drive.

1 week later the laptop lost its operating system and I ahd to wipe the disck and reinstall everthing.

When I try restoring the image from the WD backup using the Paragon PER restore program, I get this error message part way through. It happens after starting the restore, so I have to reformat and reinstall windows again.

Can anybody help?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

You can try at least to restore individual files and folder from the archive. Reinstall Paragon, under Tools > File Transfer Wizard, locate where your archives are stored and double click the .PBF or .000 files to dig into the archive. Select any files or folders, move to the clipboard and complete the wizard to extract your files.

If the I/O error is persistent, open Disk Management (right-click my computer > manage) and disable any removable device that's not in used (memory card readers, flash drives, etc). Relaunch Paragon and try the extraction again.

3. currang2

currang2 Registered Member

I didn't find the File Transfer Wizrad exactly, but Tools did permit me to transfer the .PBF file to my hard drive.

Double clicking it doesn't seem to do much, and I keep getting told the the Paragon Software System Backup is already running in other user session.

I Ctrl Alt Del and kill Dbhservice.exe, but doesn't help much.

I haven't been able to see contents of .DBH file, or a menu to recover individual files.

I am not sure I am looking in correct software (Paragon Backup and recovery 10).

I am not sure I would be able to recover full image if the .DBF file is on same drive as desired restore device. Can I?

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

To do a complete image restore , I believe the backup image needs to be on a separate drive from the target destination.

You can restore individual files, select File Transfer Wizard from the Paragon main window - browse to the .pbf and keep dble clicking to expand the contents till you see the files.

Copy them to the Paragon clipboard , Next, select a place to copy them to.

FTW-1-2010-02-27_014043 (Small).jpg

FTW-2-2010-02-27_014150 (Small).jpg

You can also access the File Transfer Wizard from the boot cd. Boot the cd, select Normal Mode>File Transfer Wizard.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.