I need your advice what to choose Outpost Pro or router for inbound protection?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CoolWebSearch, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hello, everybody.
    I have to ask you: Should I have Edimax router for inbound protection or Outpost Pro?
    Does router block all the attacks that Outpost Pro does and what is the difference between the two?

The main problem to me is that I have lifetime license for Outpost Pro, but recently I was given router for protection.
    Can any of you more experienced tell me what is the difference between Edimax router and Outpost Pro when it comes to inbound protection only?

Yes, I know you will say that it's about logging ability, much more options and etc., but when you look at it router inbound blocking is equally good as Outpost Pro or or even Windows XP firewall, this is why I can't see the difference.

When it comes to strictly inbound protection, can I rely on router's protection fully, or still more secure option is Outpost Pro?
    By the way, how do you know what is more secure router or Outpost Pto when it comes to inbound protection?

Has anyone actually tested router's inbound protection compared to Outpost Pro's or any other software firewall's inbound protection?

The only thing I could use Outpost Pro is for outbound protection.

Thanks to all of you who can give me any advice about this.

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

CoolWebSearch, I and alot of people use both a hardware firewall (router) and a software firewall. I use a linksys router and outpost pro, they compliment one another well. The router acts as a base level filter which filters out alot of internet "noise", and obviously it's advantage is that there is no program or service it relies upon to function, it's always just there and working, whereas if you rely on solely a software firewall, there's danger that the service could be shut down due to system incompatibility or malware (leaving one vulnerable). Once your router filters your incoming traffic on a base level, that's where a software firewall comes into play to provide more advanced logging, more advanced protections, etc. And of course don't forget that a router doesn't control outgoing traffic, only incoming, that's where a software firewall comes into play. A good hardware firewall will make life easier for your software firewall, since it has a cleaner bandwidth to deal with. I think both a hardware and software firewall is the way to go, and alot of people do as well. Just my two cents worth. :p

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

If any of your PCs are portable (i.e: Laptops/Notebooks) they might not always be behind your router.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As a home user, you won't see any "attacks". Your router is fine, and all you need for inbound. You can analyze and dissect it forever, but this is the basic truth.

5. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

First I only had OPF for inbound protection. But the constant attack detection warnings and quarantines of my beloved Opera were getting on my nerves. So I bought a LinkSys NAT router with SPI firewall and port forwarding.

Since that time OPF has become quiet.:)
    OPF can now fully concentrate on outbound protection.

6. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

i would go for both, i have hardware and comodo, which is top-notch.
    yeh keep your outpost

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

You have already received some specific advice here so I won't duplicate that or get into product x vs product y.

Depending upon a users risk profile, they need in my opinion (everybody has one) a layered defence selected from the top publicly tested products.

1) 2 way Software Firewall in combination with a Hardware FW such as a router
    2) 1 real time Antivirus product updated daily and used ie scan daily
    3) 1 real time Antispyware product updated daily and used ie scan daily
    4) HIPS
    5) Reliable image based backup and recovery software, backup your data partition daily
    6) Password management system

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.