I need virtualization/snap shot software that allows windows updates

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mattbiernat, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

Hi guys,
    I have been recently using Rollback Rx quite heavily to test security software. The only problem that I have with Rollback RX is that it doesn't allow windows updates to automatically update the baseline snap shot.
    I have also been playing around with deepfreeze on my older machine as one and the only security measure against malware, viruses, etc. From what I read Deepfreeze is more reliable protection than Rollback Rx.
    However neither of those 2 programs allow automatic windows updates to write onto the baseline configuration. Is there a program that would allow such task while still maintaining protected virtualized mode/snapshot.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

3. mattbiernat

thanks, this might be the exact application that I was looking for. how effective is clean slate against malware? is it comparable to SD?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Given that Clean Slate's virtual mode can be entered and exited on the fly without rebooting, my guess is that it works at the file system level rather than the lower level disk sector approach used by Shadow Defender, Deep Freeze, etc.

If Clean Slate works at the file system level as I suspect, it is probably less secure than Shadow Defender against malware. It would also explain why it is able to save Windows and anti-virus updates when the security is active. I think the extra flexibility is likely to come at the expense of some reduction in security.

5. mattbiernat

I need a program with security of SD and ability to save like RRx

Hmm, then there is kind of little point in using this. I was hoping there would be a program with security of shadow defender and flexibility of Rollback Rx.

6. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Hi mattbiernat

I tested Clean State last year and wasn't happy with it. Nothing like the simplicity and ease of use of SD or RX. I think that pegr is on the spot with his assessment.

Check my next post for RX tips.

7. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

This is the way I'm using RX:

When I do a clean Windows install I configure Windows settings to my liking first. When this is done I add Rollback RX and take the baseline snapshot without adding drivers, updates, or anything else. My baseline only has clean Windows set up as I want it. The system hasn't been exposed online at this point.

The next step is to add all drivers and security programs, plus Windows updates. I have already downloaded all updates as files using another computer, I do this with Windows Updates Downloader:

http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/Default.aspx

I copy the updates on a USB stick and install them on my main machine offline. After this is done I save this setup as my Main snapshot, then expose the system online for the first time and use it as normal. I use this Main snapshot for software testing and everyday tasks, reloading as needed in order to undo test installations. When a new bunch of Windows updates come out (or when there are updates for my security programs) I load it again, and add the new stuff. When all is updated I save a new snapshot and then delete the previous one and defrag the snapshots. I do this every other month or so; it only takes a few minutes to update everything, then save the new snapshot. This new snapshot has now become my new Main snapshot. I'll return to it again a few weeks later to add new updates to it, save it as the new Main, delete the previous one, defrag snapshots, and so on.

I don't update my Main snapshot in the manner described above everytime there is a virus/malware definition update available, that would be pointless and tedious. I only do it when there are program updates or a new bunch of Windows updates. Definition updates happen afresh when I restore my Main and go online anyway, and they take mere seconds.

I rarely install any software that I want to keep on C: drive anyway. Most of the apps I use frequently are portable apps running from another disk and require no installation, (or I make them portable using the Martau Total Uninstall backup feature).

I also have some other mission-specific snapshots which are offshots from my Main:

• A strictly offline snapshot with my my CPU overclocked to 5.0 GHz, all security software disabled, my network adapter disabled in Device Manager (I'm paranoid), and also a lot of Windows services disabled. I use this one for video and audio encoding tasks.

• Another strictly offline snapshot which is similar tho the one above, but with all my hardware at default clocks and various benchmarking apps installed as well. I use this one for benchmarking and overclock testing.

• Another one is for gaming with my graphics cards OCed to their sweet spot and with my CPU at a more moderate 4.7 GHz, perfect for gaming without getting too hot. Again this snapshot is a strictly offline one so there is no need to update anything. Most games can run from standalone rips from another disk, and my user files also reside on a different disk anyway; so my games and their saves are preserved when I switch to another snapshot.

• I also have a 'green' snapshot with my system underclocked, my security apps active, and C: on Shadow Mode. I use this one for lower power consumption and lower temperatures when I leave the PC on overnight for torrents seeding.
    RX can give you all this control, and you can switch between these setups with just a simple reboot. Why give all this up for the sake of Windows and AV Updates? Having a Main snapshot that you can update manually whenever there are new updates available works much better IMO.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. roady

roady Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.