I need some advice...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mozz, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Mozz,
    Please note the advice:-
    This, plus possible orphaned drivers can cause many problems.

I dont uninstall security software, I always go back to a saved image (not a windows restore point), but have seen many problems with the lack in uninstallers.
    As example: In XP, I have seen many problems caused by one remaining driver left from a (though of) un-installed firewall.

2. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

You've gotten some really good advice. Especially about the AV/AS. That falls under the saying of first things first. I've been using Avira personal premium for the past year. Easy to use and can be made more secure easily.
    Perhaps Online Armor would be helpful.
    Though it's not just a firewall it's easy enough for me to use. And I'm generally clueless.
    Good luck.

3. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hey All..

Thank you all for your replys and advice.. I still can't figure out why I can't install the Pc Tools Firewall. I've been trying most of the evening, and now I've given up. I've tried all of your suggestions, using CCleaner and that.. Still the same problem.. Nevermind, I couldn't install the old version either..
    I think that I'm going to have to settle with the XP Firewall... But still, thanks for your help...

And just to let you know. I've installed Avira Premium (found a 3 month trial offer in the "Other antivirus software" forum) and scanned before I did anything else. So the system should be clean....

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

You can use Outpost version 1.0.1817 but there are some users who have problems with it on XP systems.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15745

For simplicity, Zone Alarm and Sygate are among the easiest to set up. But from Stem's earlier post, it is best to start with a fresh system when you load a particular security software. People who uninstall and install different programs of a similar type on a machine tends to generate many drivers and O.S. entry remants that produce problems when you try to change your programs.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Stem:

2 questions here:

1) Do you mean the image of the OS as in a separate partition for the OS?
    2) How can Mozz or any of us id and purge/update the drivers that may lie a the root of this can't install issue?

Rather than try to answer 2 if it is "too much" maybe give us a link to read up on driver management.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.