I need help!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

A friend gave me a computer. I will call it comp. 3 A Dell 8200 with XP Home edition. There was no AV and Windows had never been updated. I burned some programs to CD on my computer and loaded on comp.3. SAS, Avira AV and AVG Anti Spyware. They removed a ton of trash. I ran SP2 from CD then downloaded about 100 Windows updates. Here is my problem. It seems that maybe the registry is messed up. I can try to setup IE but what ever I set up doesn't take effect. I try to set a desk top background and that doesn't work. I can change the color but not the background. So it has a solid color. IE doesn't want to work right. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You might try Regsupreme Pro on it and see what happens.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Is it possible for you to do a clean XP install?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I agree with that suggestion, if at all possible, a clean and fresh reformat and reinstall is the best solution. There's no telling what went on that got it that way... or if it's even possible to fix it...

5. WilliamP

I don't have the XP disk that came with this comp.3 but I have my disk that came with mine. Would I be able to do a repair install with my disko_O?

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for...but would this be a good time to try Linux?

7. WilliamP

I ran my XP cd. Then ran my SP2 CD . Downloaded about 100 windows updates and all seems good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.