I Need help. please . bad Drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by selkov, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think this is an excellent question and I hope Acronis will post an answer to it! It also might explain why the Acronis report utility uncovers bad sectors on drives that other diagnostic tools don't see.

2. selkov

selkov Registered Member

I got a copy of Spinrite.
    No matter in which mode I run it it will always hang at 15%.
    Any other ideas?
    how about a low level format utility?
    Any recommendations?

3. seekforever

If you haven't, I'd reformat the drive using the "long" not the quick format and see what turns up.

If it doesn't work, then I'd get a new HD. Once bad sectors are detected they often are only the beginning of even more bad sectors down the road.

4. selkov

selkov Registered Member

I do not have another drive to use. And what i asked was why does the drive work perfectly well in Windows and all my apps worrk fine with it but it does not work with TI?

5. seekforever

Spinrite didn't seem happy with it either.

You can try one of the so-called "low-level format" products on it but these are really an initiallization routine and a read-check not unlike chkdsk /r or a non-quick format. There is no such thing as a low-level format as there was in the old HD days. However, these utilities are not the same as what you've tried and may correct some problem on the disk.

Still a good question why Windows seems to have no problem with the drive. From my old days: there is often more than one way to setup and execute a disk read/write and it could be that TI is using some method that is now marginal on your drive where Windows is using a slightly different command sequence and it just gives a little extra time for something to work in the drive. Speculation on my part but things like this do happen.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Acronis True Image creates a snapshot of the entire hard drive, and bad blocks or file system errors prevent the program from obtaining the information from all sectors of the hard drive. Acronis True Image is sensitive to the hard drive malfunction.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.