I need help backing up to my external with free paragon

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by tracyvand, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyvand

tracyvand Registered Member

Hi,
    I don't know much about computers. I always used microsoft backup wizard until it disappeared from my computer so I downloaded Paragon free. I opened it up and I have no idea how to use it. I clicked around and it seems to have a wizard for backing up to a CD or DVD but I can't see an option for external hard drive. Could someone walk me through it?
    Thanks.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Your external hard drive should have an assigned drive letter. You want to backup to that assigned letter.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Tracy,

backup-1-30032010_005652.jpg

Backup -2-30032010_005951.jpg

BACKUP-3-30032010_010225.jpg

Backup -5 -30032010_010728.jpg

On the next screen , Dot "Backup Now", click Next.

The next screen is a summary of what you have asked it to do - if happy, click Next.

Click "Finish" to start the backup.

Hope it helps

4. tracyvand

Hello,
    Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it and I'm sorry I haven't thanked you sooner but I had a hard time finding my way back to this board. The problem I have is with your step Number 3 -"selecting which partitions to back up". This is the part I don't understand. I'm not sure which boxes to check - what would happen if I just checked them all?

Since I backed up my entire computer using microsoft windows backup utility (which no longer opens on my computer)in November I guess I just need to backup all my documents, favorites, and outlook express - how do I do that? Also there are two accounts on the computer - my daughters and mine (she doesn't have an outlook express account though. But she has all her own documents.) so I want to make sure all her stuff gets backed up too. We also have a "shared documents" folder with all our pictures in that needs to be backed up. So I'm not sure how to do that and which boxes to check.

Thank you so much for your help!

5. Paragon_Tommy

If you're not sure what to backup, I would check "Basic Hard Disk 0" in step 3. This backs up all partitions inside the physical hard drive. All accounts on the computer, user settings, and personal files will be backed up. If you have additional Basic Hard Disk 1, 2, or 3, find out what they are, and backup if necessary. Multiple computer accounts in one operating system all reside on the same Windows partition, and as long as that partition is backed up, so are all the accounts.

6. tracyvand

Thanks. I've been reading the downloadable user's manual so I am wondering if I can do a differential backup once I do what you suggested?

7. Paragon_Tommy

Differential backup on a regular basis will keep your archives up to date, take less time and space. To run the Differential Backup, you'll find the wizard either on the left hand side column or under Wizards. It will ask to locate your original archive before the backup begins. You can schedule it to run on a regular basis or run on demand.

8. tracyvand

When I back up after checking "Basic Hard Disk 0" will my Outlook Express and "Favorites" be backed up too?

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, everything on that Hard Disk will be backed up.

10. tracyvand

I tried a differential backup and after 46% overall progress (2 hours with 3 more hours to go) I got a pop up box saying:

"Operation Failed
    Unable to read file
    Error source: Hard Disk Manager
    Error code 0x11020"

So I have started a complete backup but I am wondering if I can do anything to fix the error problem?

Microsoft Backup Utility no longer works on my computer and that is why I am using the Paragon but the Microsoft never seemed to take as long as the Paragon to back up.

11. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

tracyvand,

please try to run CHKDSK /f to find and fix possible errors in file system on all partitions:
    * Go to My Computer
    * Right-click drive C:/ and select Properties
    * Go to Tools tab and click 'Check Now' in Error-checking section
    * Enable all available options and click Start (please note: system partition check requires restart, please do it)
    * Repeat 3 previous steps for all available drives in My Computer.

12. chris45

chris45 Registered Member

really paragon drive backup backs up your windows user settings too? if it does thats nice because i hate having to tweak my os everytime i reinstall

13. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Yes, really. :)

All of your Windows settings, all of your registry settings, application settings etc. can/will be backed up and can/will be restored.

14. tracyvand

I did what you said with the error checking. Then I started a differential backup. After 1 hour 35 min (with 4 hrs 45 min to go) I got a pop up saying "Operation Failed . Unable to Read File".

Do you have any suggestions?
    Also, why would it take over 6 hours to do a differential backup?

When my microsoft backup utility was working I don't think it took over 3 hrs for a full backup.

Thanks again.

15. Mech_An

First of all, check you file system:
    open Windows command prompt under Administrator
    type: CHKDSK [drive letter]: /f
    press enter schedule backup on restart if needed.
    Then check if diff will be made faster and without errors.

Additionally, try to switch to Paragon Hot Processing instead of VSS as it's faster:
    * in Paragon program go to Tools - Settings
    * in Hot Processing options select Paragon Hot Processing
    * save changes.

As of time for diff: what is source partition size and data amount?

16. tracyvand

"First of all, check you file system:
    open Windows command prompt under Administrator
    type: CHKDSK [drive letter]: /f
    press enter schedule backup on restart if needed.
    Then check if diff will be made faster and without errors.
    "

I'm not sure what you mean, I'm not very computer knowledgable - are you talking about the "Run" box?

About the hot processing - do I check "Always use hot processing" and leave the rest as is? Because once I check that everything else in the window stays the same and it has a box already checked called " Switch between hot processing technologies" - do I leave that checked?

"As of time for diff: what is source partition size and data amount? "
    Where do I find this information?

Thank you for helping!

17. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Tracy,

Rt click Computer , then Rt click the drive and select Properties.

chkdsk1.jpg

Click "Tools" tab , then click "Check Now"

CHKDSK2.jpg

Click "Start"

CHKDSK3.jpg

If you get this message, click "Schedule Checkdisk", then restart the pc.

CHKDSK4.jpg

18. tracyvand

Ok, I checked the discs for errors. now I get this:

"l/O error on hard disk drive 6 has occurred. What would you like to do?
    The hard disk read or write operation has failed. This may be due to hardware
    problems.
    Retry the operation [but it won't let me do that]
    Ignore the error
    The program might work incorrectly, or your data may become corrupted in this case.
    Ignore all errors
    The program might work incorrectly, or your data may become corrupted in this case."

Honestly, things just seem to be getting worse. What am I supposed to do now?

19. tracyvand

Ok, I checked the discs for errors. now I get this:

"l/O error on hard disk drive 6 has occurred. What would you like to do?
    The hard disk read or write operation has failed. This may be due to hardware
    problems.
    Retry the operation [but it won't let me do that]
    Ignore the error
    The program might work incorrectly, or your data may become corrupted in this case.
    Ignore all errors
    The program might work incorrectly, or your data may become corrupted in this case."

Honestly, things just seem to be getting worse. What am I supposed to do now?

20. Mech_An

tracyvand,

1) please post here screenshot of Windows Disk Management tool:
    * right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage';
    * select 'Disk Management' in 'Storage';
    * maximize the window;
    * click 'PrintScreen' key on the keyboard to capture the screen into the Windows Clipboard;
    * use any graphical editor (Windows Paint, for instance) to paste the image and save it as JPG, GIF or PNG file;
    * attach saved image to your reply.

2) post here LOG files:
    "PWLOG.TXT", "STUBACT.LOG", "BioNTlog.TXT" from C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program\

I suppose, drive 6 is your destinations drive. Please check what file system it has (right-click the drive and select properties, check if it is NTFS or FAT).
    Then check the destination drive:
    * right-click it and select Properties
    * go to Tools - Check Now
    * confirm operation.

21. tracyvand

Thank you for responding!

Attached is the screen shot but for the following:

"2) post here LOG files:
    "PWLOG.TXT", "STUBACT.LOG", "BioNTlog.TXT" from C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program\
    "

I don't know where to get these log files? Somewhere in Paragon?

As far as the destination drive being drive 6 - I don't know. When I hook up my external hard drive it shows up in My Computer under hard drives as drive J. The other hard drives are Local Disk C and Local Disk H. When I right click J under Properties it says NTFS under "file system".
    When I clicked under Tools "Check Now" it went through 3 Phases and finished checking and there was no problems but then I did it again after checking the two boxes "Automatically Fix File System Errors" and "Scan For and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors". When I did it again after checking those two boxes it checked until Phase 4 at which point it froze and wouldn't let me Cancel so I unplugged the external.

I really appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

22. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Hi "tracyvand"

Look at the screenshot you posted.
    In "Computer Managememt" "Disc Management" try right-click the Blue ( C : ) icon (just under where it says "volume" in the headline).
    Then choose "properties" , and click top tab where it says "hardware" .
    Then where it says "name" and "type" give us the information about your disc/harddrive or post a screenshot with the info.
    There might be a problem with your harddisc and perhaps we could find a manufactures diagnostic tool for you that you can download and use to check your disc just to check that.

23. Fiat_Lux

P.S.
    Hard to decipher if you were actually scanning the internal drive ( C : ) without errors , from your previous answers it sounds as you might have a problem with the internal drive, however your latest post tells that you "uplugged the external" which makes one believe that you were checking your external drive at that point.
    If so then please give us make and model of that drive too..

24. Fiat_Lux

Be pro-active

From your GUI interface screenshot and the fact that you use "outlook express" I gather that you use some version of Window XP.

Let us clear a misunderstanding :
    You do not need a backup program to take a backup of your and your daughters personal files in Windows. On the contrary sometimes it is better and easier if it is just copied to a writeable optical medium such as a CD-R or a DRV-R by the use of a CD/DVD Writer program and of course your computers CD/DVD Writer unit (which I hope that your computer has).
    Once that you knows where on your computer your files are located and you can navigate using "Windows Explorer" plus you know how to use a CD/DVD writer program (relatively simple/easy) then you can just backup your files to CD-R or DVD-R for very easy retrieval later !!!

Your and your daughters personal files in Windows ought to be located at the following places/path at you harddrive C: :

Yours and your daughters documents under each your user name located at :
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Documents

Shared documents folder located at :
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

Yours and your daughters Outlook Express address books under each your user name located at :
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Yours and your daughters I.E. favorites under each your user name located at :
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Favorites

Yours and your daughters Outlook Express messages under each your user name located at :
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{idnum}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

For using Windows explorer and for seeing how to set Windows explorer to show hidden files please use embedded links.

Microsoft - Using Windows Explorer

Show Hidden Program or System Files

How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data
    (Don't forget to export email account settings)

Importing Items into Outlook Express

To get an easy to use CD/DVD writer program for free please download and install : "Nero BurnLite 10, a solution for CD and DVD burning and copying"

Using the CD/DVD writer program "Nero BurnLite 10" and "Windows Explorer" you can easily locate and backup all yours and your daughters personal files, provided that you got a CD/DVD writer plus some CDs/DVDs to write on.
    With repect to writing CDs/DVDs then, if available, use settings in "Nero BurnLite 10" : "not multisession" and tick in "close disc".
    If/when writing a CD or DVD then always verify afterwards that you can read data from the written CD or DVD.

You of course do not have to do any of this, it is strictly up to you, this is just a suggestion for you that you may backup your data in an easy way until such time that the other problems have been solved...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  25. Fiat_Lux

Hi "tracyvand"
    I noticed today that this thread has been started back in "March 29th" and that you wrote that you "used microsoft backup wizard until it disappeared from my computer".
    This, the microsoft backup wizard disappearing, the long timespan of this thread/your problems, and the type of problems you have had - it all makes me wonder....
    I can't understand why people have approached your problems as they have and find it a little peculiar that you let 7 months pass without you getting your problems fixed one way or the other.
    Well, perhaps it is not my place to question the time frame for you fixing your PC or judge others approach to your problems with your PC - after all the story has, for them, unfolded over many months....
    But to me it is a clear sign of PC in danger that you wrote that you "used microsoft backup wizard until it disappeared from my computer". If something "dissappears" from your computer and it presents the kind of problems it does then it is for me a sign of a probable "corrupted" Windows installation. A Windows installation can be "corrupted" more ways. When both things dissappears and things stop working properly then it would suggest that someting is hurting/has hurt your files/installation. An installation can "break" and need to be re-installed "for reasons unknown" (like a e.g. "crash") however the symptoms could also mean that you got a virus or malware on your computer or that your internal harddrive is malfunctioning.
    Therefore I would like to suggest to you that you not only get the internal harddrive examined (a drive examination is alas not always 100% conclusive, even if it appears OK by examination there still is a chance that it still could be failing) but also that you get your Windows installation seriously checked for virus and malware....
    Anyway , I don't think that the type of problems you have with your PC is the type of problems that you should leave unsolved for months.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.