I need few clarifications

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by xpsunny, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

I request the administrators/moderators to clarify few below mentioned sections:

1. Are the members entitled to freely express their views about various security products, based purely on facts? (However, the language of the post is purely decent and non-offensive.)

2. Every developer of a Software product always takes a defensive stance on the criticism of their product's flaws and drawbacks, so why there is no availability of protection to the members who are a victim of developer's suppression/imperialism/false-accusations...just because they posted a thread which is not in favour of the Software's marketing?

3. Is Wilders Security Forum purely meant for marketing proposes? (With reference to the suppression of X product's criticism.)

4. If there is a disagreement regarding a post between a Developer and a member, why in majority of the cases the thread is altered (includes closing, modifying and deleting the post/thread) in favor of the Developer?

5. I would be great if the Forum has a section that clarifies whether the hired Moderators/Administrators are not paid for moderating the forum by X Software firm. And if they are paid, please reveal it openly.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If a post is non-offensive then yes, member opinions about security products, whether positive or negative, are allowed. In fact, there are a large number of negative posts about every product that has ever been discussed here. A quick look is all it takes to find "the dirt" along side the praises.

Almost everyone gets defensive when challenged. Developers are no different from any other member here when it comes to that. If members have issue with any specific post, then they need to use the Report Bad Post function and we'll review it. It doesn't matter if it's a post by a product developer or a member who is not a product developer.

As said above, there is no product written about here that hasn't had many negatives posted along with the positives. If this was about marketing, all negative posts would be removed which clearly they are not. (A quick look through the Acronis or Eset forums will show that negative posts exist in large numbers. In fact, some are even pretty nasty in their wording and have not been moderated.)

In many cases, the things that have needed moderating have been offensive statements or bashes by product users. Vendors are usually (though not always) more careful in their post wording then say a member who has had a bad product experience, and is therefore angry when they post. Angry posts tend to cross the line more frequently than the replies back to them. However, vendors have had posts removed and/or edit here, too.

Most of the forum staff are simply volunteers. This includes all Administrators, Global Moderators and the discipline expertise moderators (i.e. moderators for firewall, privacy, etc.). None are paid. Most were simply normal members who we approached (because they made good forum contributions) and asked to become forum staff.

Among the official vendor support forums, some of their moderators are employees of those companies. For example, several of the Eset Moderators are Eset company employees. Although not all of them are. However, to my knowledge, none are paid just to post on the forum. They all have real jobs at their company and also participate here. Of course, the dedicated forum vendor moderators are clearly shown as such. Their member accounts have a clear title specifically listing their company name. (I can't imagine there's anyone that doesn't know that Marcos, as an example, works for Eset.)

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have seen, on this forum, several developers react and respond very politely and helpfully and appreciatively when "challenged". On the other hand, I have seen only one developer get defensive when challenged.

Names edited by poster so as to keep the peace. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have to agree with LWM. The one thing that all must keep in mind is that, this is not you and your next door neighbor having a discussion, but, people and personalities from around this entire globe. I really think we fail to remember that sometimes, yours truly included.

I honestly feel that this forum, Wilders, is about as equal as they get. We all agree and disagree depending on our moods, the products, the poster, and when you combine all of that into a good ole split pea soup, I am sure it is a hell of a job to moderate for the moderators.

But, I have said this on numerous occasions. When you look at the ability for people like me, average Joe, to be able to come here and have open discussions with the vendors that actually create some very famous products, it is a honor and a pleasure. Think of all the times members have been able to provide feedback to a vendor to only make the situation a win-win for both.

No, this is cool, and I like it. I commend the vendors, the staff, and most of all, the members.

5. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

@ LowWaterMark

I do not want to reveal the Developer's name currently, but I would like to say that there is a Developer in the Wilders Forum who makes false accusions on the members who crtitcize his product.

The Developer even goes to the extending of posting the reply to "the" member in an offesive language.

So....how can the Developer be put brought under control aka review of each post of the Developer by a moderator prior posting?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You are right not to name names here. We won't discuss any member or their status in public threads - vendor or not. Send me a PM with your specific issue and I'll look into it. However, don't expect any specific outcome, such as "putting someone on Post Watch" just because you say so. You "report" and I'll "review" that report. If someone needs to be contacted about their actions, I'll do that. If they need to be warned, I'll do that. But, the outcome of all of that will remain private, between me and that member, just like it is when anyone else is talked to or warned. This thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.