I need a VPN for December 2013

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mattdocs12345, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I have a strong VPN account. They are US based, obviously with NSA pen drive but I didnt care as much since they were only for Netflix. Their service expires in December and I want to switch to something better.

Here is what I need:
    - around $50-60 a year
    - USA server so I can stream Netflix when im out of the country
    - company cannot be US based
    - good reputation
    - cannot be slow as I want to use this service for Netflix
    - no logging
    - supports connection of at least 2 devices at once

UPDATE
    Is there an option to auto-connect to VPN on the linux start up?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. cohbraz

cohbraz Registered Member

3. mattdocs12345

I believe Norton is US based company so I cant do it.

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I don't think you can have it both ways. If you don't need a VPN that is very secure and requires no money trail that is one thing. On the other hand you say you want a VPN that is outside the US to avoid the NSA and /or other three letter agencies. There really isn't a good combo to play this both ways. The VPN provider you are with is very fast and has good tech, but they would sell you out in a "blink" if they were approached with a US court order. They plainly say so on their website. By default you should be able to deduce that if approached behind the scenes they would allow the NSA any access they requested. I see no reason to suspect that my assumption is incorrect. There are many VPN threads on this website and the suggestions are strongly supported.

My take would be to get a secure VPN from a "activist" based group and feel somewhat confident that they will fight tooth and nail to protect your anonymity. I pay with Bitcoin and it is virtually as easy as using a credit card for me.

5. mattdocs12345

Hmm so you are saying there is no secure VPN that has US servers but is based in a country that will not accept NSA requests for wiretapping in its own country.

6. JoeAverage

JoeAverage Registered Member

I don't live in the USA, and as my name suggest, I`m the average Joe, but I have a VPN based in the USA, I like it very much and they claim that in the USA there is no law that oblied them for logging...so how can they betray you, if there is no log? (so they say)...letting them sniffing your packets?

And what is the difference if it is offshore? Europe? Asia? USA does not have influence there?

7. Palancar

On the contrary.

There are several good ones, which are mentioned in the long VPN threads here. I was saying that the good ones are very secure and they accept Bitcoins, etc... Those are what you want. I didn't mention any exact names because the few I use are my opinion of very secure services. I have posted my choices throughout the forum. You will see the same 5 top choices come up for many here that concentrate on security and privacy. I would strongly suggest using a partition of trust whereby you use at least two different providers that do not know each other to make tracing your origin that much more difficult. e.g. VPN + Whonix.

8. focus

focus Registered Member

A reputable company for less than $60 per year may be a problem. Mullvad meets most of your criteria except for the price, which is around $7 a month depending on Euro conversion rate.

9. mattdocs12345

I tried Mullvad. I get 1mb/s... way too slow for browsing.

10. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

With your price and bandwidth requirements, I recommend Private Internet Access. AirVPN and BolehVPN are better, I think, but they're both a little over 60 USD per year. I'm not familiar with others that are fast and reliable, but cost less. Perhaps SecurityKISS, but I only know their free version, which is slow and usage capped.

11. focus

focus Registered Member

I get about 8-10 mbps on a 25mbps connection. That's using a SE server from Western US. There have been slower times but they seem to have improved their infrastructure lately. I do not use the USA server so I have no experience with its speed.

As Palancar mentioned there are a couple of recent VPN threads that thrashed through this pretty well.

Ah, I see you changed your requirements, dropping the interrupted internet connection safeguard will open other services. Good luck in your search.

12. mattdocs12345

Thank you. I think I will be willing to pay a little more per year. I really do need fast speed, support for up to 2 devices at once, the more the better. But of course cheaper options would bre prefered. I would love to find something for around $50 a year.

PIA is U.S. based and thus cannot be trusted. This also goes against my personal boycott of any software company based in United States.

13. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use BolehVPN. Last time I renewed my subscribtion it was $85/year. They are based in Malaysia, but have lots of servers in different countries including the US. I normally use the European servers, some of which give very fast speeds (~15 Mb/s - maybe more if my base connection was faster). I just tried their SurfingStreaming-EastUS connection and clocked about 9 Mb/s speed, although since I rarely use that server I cannot attest to it's stability or whether 9 Mb/s is normal speed. On occasion I've streamed US-only sporting events and youtube videos in high res though without problem. Boleh has other US connection options too such as -WestUS and FullyRouted-US. You can of course first test it for free for one day or just buy it for one week for $10. I'm happy with Boleh, but as I said I only use the US servers rarely so your milage may vary, plus it's a bit over your specified price range.

14. mattdocs12345

Okay sounds almost good. Price a little high but perhaps I would pay for it if it works well. One question. Is there an option to automatically break the internet connection if disconnected from the server?

15. mattdocs12345

Okay Mullvad now spiked to 3.5mb/s in United States. Should be good enough for Netflix. In Sweeden I also got 3.5mb/s. So this is okay for me.

Im still waiting for response from Boleh VPN.

16. Palancar

Glad you seem to be finding something that will work for you. You can't go wrong with Mullvad, Boleh, or Air as they are all fine providers that value your privacy.

17. mattdocs12345

Okay so I recived trail for Boleh. I do like the fact that they operate from Malysia. But they don't have a linux software that would automatically configure the VPN for me. Instead there is only a long turtorial. This is very inconvinient for me as I like to play around with my ubuntu and reinstall it quite a bit.
    Really wish they had software configuration like Mullvad does. Will check out AirVPN next.

18. mattdocs12345

There is an option that says:

19. imdb

imdb Registered Member

20. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

no explicit option like that - although that seems to happen if I experience a disconnect. also you might be able to configure a separate program like VPNcheck to do that for you (not sure) - I used it several years ago, but since then the stability has been sufficiently good that I have felt no need for it and also Boleh and VPNcheck have both evolved so not sure if they'd still play well together. there is an auto reconnect option, but that can still leave a brief moment when your programs aren't protected. fwiw, it does offer DNS leak protection in case that's something you care about.

21. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

22. mattdocs12345

Still trying to configure Boleh VPN. So fricken annyoing. They don't have Ubuntu specific guide and the generic one that they have is old/incomplete.

Mullvad VPN requires me to type in root privalages each time I want to connect. Is there no easy to configure VPN service that auto-connects at log ino_O

23. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's easy.

First remove any VPNs configured in Network Manager.

Then install plain openvpn if you haven't already.

Then copy all of the VPN credentials (*.crt and *.key) and one configuration file (must end with .conf, not .ovpn) to /etc/openvpn. Make sure that root owns them, with permissions "-rw-------". Then run this in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo service openvpn restart
    Other options are "start", "stop" and "status".

If you want to have multiple configuration files, and choose which to run ...

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/openvpn
    ... and uncomment ...

Code:
    AUTOSTART="none"
    Then you can run ...

Code:
    sudo service openvpn start route-that-I-want
    ... and so on.

24. mattdocs12345

What do i put in "route thar I want?"

25. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Try TorGuard. They are not US based and I think they are pretty fast. They are $60 per year. Personally I use PIA but they are US based. I mostly use VPN to prevent ISP spying anyway so I think a US vpn is okay for that. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.