I need a sandbox or something similar for Vista64

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Thorz, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

I am needing a way to run some appz in a sandbox or a virtualized environment on Vista64. I am tired of having to boot VMs on VMWare player to run or test untrusted programs.

Sandboxie was THE PRODUCT for what I am looking for but sadly it doesn't support Vista64 and after everything I have read it appears that it never will.

Is there anything that you could recommend me? If there is no solution I am going to have to continue using VMs :(.

Do you know of a freeware VM that can protect the virtual images and return them to its clean state after the VM is turned off? I know VMWare workstation can do this but US$189 is a little too step for me at the moment.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Re: I need a sanbox or something similar for Vista64

Short of getting vmWare workstation which is what I use, why don't you just copy the vmx files and then play with the copy, leaving the original?

Sul.

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If you have 2 computers, VMWare ESXi or XenServer 5.0.
    Good thing about XenServer, if your hardware supports AMD-v or VT-x, you can install 64 bit OS's, run up to 10 simultaniously, all for free.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

DeepFreeze latest version!

6. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Thank you guys.
    After reading on the respective webpages I find that the mentioned software (FD-ISR and deepfreeze) needs a reboot after let's say a software test, and FD-ISR needs a huge amount of space to work for the snapshot. It looks like there is definitely nothing compared to Sandboxie that works like a wrapper any application and that doesn't need a reboot, for Vista64.

It looks like it is going to be VMWare that is going to do the trick, or any other of the VM software mentioned, until someone finds a way to port something like sandboxie to Vista64 or W7-64.

I am going to have to find the best scanner to mount it on a VM machine and run my tests there. I have read very good things about Avira, maybe something worth the try?

Thanks.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Do you consider ShadowUser or RollBack ?;)

Not sure if they work on Vista x64.:p

8. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

I have always been interested in Rollback Rx but it is not the kind of product I am looking for for this specific situation. It is more tailored to disaster recovery than disaster prevention that is what a proper sandbox does.

I own Shadowprotect so Shadowuser is appealing. I am going to have to read more and see if it needs to reboot to return the system to a normal state. Returnill is also interesting and I have to read more about it too.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

ShadowUser won't work with any Vista, and it'll need a reboot to enter shadow mode and a reboot to exit. The only difference with SU is that you can keep your shadow session across reboots without deleting any data.

10. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

I have learned that "maybe" the new KIS2010 can have a sandbox module that works in Vista64. It is not yet confirmed that the sandbox will work in V64 but the beta version is in an advance phase and appears to work well in Vista32.

This would be the program for me because I already own KIS2009 and am very pleased with it. Adding a behavioral monitor like Prevx plus my already in place incremental image rutines will cover all the angles I need. So now it is just to sit tight and hope that Kaspersky can produce what has been impossible until now!

11. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I feel your pain, Thorz, though my needs are slightly different.

My nephew comes over and works on my computer, and even though he is on an LUA, I cringe because he likes to download things and visit some flaky sites. I loved having Sandboxie on my XP machine--it was very simple, but there is nothing similar yet for Vista x64.

I'm considering something like VMware, Deepfreeze or FirstDefense ISR. The idea is that Ben can goof off to his heart's content, but I can simply wipe away everything he has done.

Is that how these programs work?
    I want a simple program which either virtualizes the session (or the application, like Sandboxie does) or creates a snapshot of the current state which you can easily revert back to after the session. I admit that I am nervous about these programs because I don't have the knowledge of the folks that post on this site.

Oh, you mentioned Avira. I really like it. Light, fast, easy to use. Good detection...and free! I may even go with the paid version.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hello there,

If you want something simple, quick (the time to reboot), easy to operate, and solid, DeepFeeze is the answer (one of the best supports, Faronics). Biggest drawback about DeepFreeze is that nothing can be retained from the virtual session.

But if you love Sandboxie, there shouldn't be any problems running Shadow Defender which has the added features to exclude files from the virtual volume and to commit whatever you like to the real volume. Now all those operations can be performed enabling password control (to keep your nephew from interfering).

FirstDefense is good to test programs, but it is not exactly quick as the others: you need anything between 3-10 minutes to change from one state to the other + a reboot.

Correction: Sorry I forgot the original title mentioned Vista64, so Shadow Defender is definitely not compatible.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  13. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Excellent. Thanks for the info, Osaban.

14. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Thanks Osaban.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.