I Need a Little Help With Active @

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by n8chavez, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have tried many disk imaging applications over the years, as some of you well know. I think I might have finally found that has everything I'm looking for; obviously the ability to backup and restore and restore partitions, excellent compressions, password protection of images, raw data backup ability, verification, scheduling, the ability to store more than one partition image in a file, and a great winpe 2.1 boot disk that allows for more than just backup and restore functions. I'm speaking of Active @ Disk Image.

I wonder if I might impose on Wilders for a little help. I was granted a license because of my job as a reviewer, for Active @ Disk Image. The main component of that being Disk Image and I would very much appreciate feedback from anyone that installs in and uses it. I have been using it personally, and have found little wrong with it, though there are some things. I have been establishing a rapport with LSoft, and I believe they will take my suggestions and/or criticism very seriously. If you could help me find its weaknesses so that they can be fixed I would appreciate it. I have limited hardware at my disposal, so the more configurations that are used the greater detail can be gathered and the more LSoft can improve their products.

There is a complete trial version of Disk Image available for 30-days, which includes the boot disc. Disk Image costs $40, which I think is a great deal.

Also, please be aware that Disk Image does not currently store dynamic disk images. That shortcoming will be mentioned and is in my notes

Nathan

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Active@ products are usually excellent. I have a licensed version of Active@FileRecoveryPro and it's really one of the most powerful of the market. But, regarding Active@Disk, I have a major gripe : it doesn't offers incremental or differential image backup, which all major products now have.

ShadowProtect
    Image for Windows/Linux
    Macrium Reflect
    Paragon
    Keriver
    Drive Snapshot
    O&O DiskImage

So for a 40$ commercial product, it's really a shame and I don't see how they can attract customers.

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Hi n8,

After a brief experience with Active Disk Image I would agree with your observations, with the following exceptions:

1. While it's boot CD had no problem with my laptop's hdd, it doesn't see my desktop's C-drive (which I can only imagine is due to a missing driver)!

2. As Merle notes above, it lacks the ability to create differential images. While that may not be important to you, I, Merle, and others value that feature.

Aaron

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. n8chavez

Thank you guys very much. As I said, the more information the better.

Aaron Here - May I ask what kind of drive your using. That seems a bit odd to me; Disk Image is supposed to handle all types of disks.. Also, does the installed product have that problem or is it just the boot disk?

MerleOne - You're right. Incremental updates should be added to the feature set. I will add that to my notes.

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I believe the issue is with the controller, not the drive. My desktop's C-drive is a WD360 Raptor (SATA) and it's connected to a Promise FastTrak 378 SATA Controller. Re your 2nd question, I never installed the software because I always do raw-imaging from a boot disk in order to faithfully capture my Rollback Rx environment.

If you would like more details shoot me a pm.

6. n8chavez

I have been in communication with LSoft developers and have received the following response regarding incremental imaging.

Stay tuned for more.

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I prefer LSoft's Active@ Boot Disk (v5.0.5) - it has Active@ Disk Image v3.3.8 and all the other Active@ softwares and lots of great utilities. That said, I still prefer Acronis' and Macrium Reflect's backup software.

I had the same issue with a virtual machine. However, the Active@ Boot Disk offered the option to load drivers, after doing which all was fine. I suggest you use Double Drivers or Driver Magician Lite (both free) to make backups of your hard disk (hdc) drivers (and net drivers if want to access the internet), add those to the boot disk and load if necessary.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

disappointed, crestfallen

today i tried to make an image and restore it (xp) with the boot disk

1) it did not put in the right place, i mean i had all my mp3 in the out track zone
    i found them stray, scattered in random place of the hard disk

2) i found a huge reserved zone away from the mft

don't tell me it's a resize issues , because active can not resize

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Last edited: May 20, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.