I need a file compression tool.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by notageek, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Sorry if this topic has been posted before but I couldn't fin d it with a search.

I need a file compresion tool. I used winzip but not really happy with it. Does anyone know of a good compression program that has password protection? I was looking at Tugzip but I'm not sure. Anyone used Tugzip? If so is it any good?

I forgot to mention that I tried zip genius and didn't like it either.

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Winrar? PowerArchiver? PowerTools?.....

The list goes on....

Some kind of program with compression format and a strong password encryption?

3. notageek

Yes now that's the ticket I heard of only one of them program you mentioned and that's power archiver and I heard mixed feelings about it. I want something that isn't a disk space hog. LOL I have the space just hate programs taking up more space than it should. :)

4. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Notageek ok here goes for PowerArchiver

Taken from http://www.powerarchiver.com/

Certified "Designed for Windows" by Microsoft and designated "Optimized for Windows XP" following thorough testing to ensure an excellent Windows experience
    Complete built-in support for ZIP, CAB, LHA (LZH), TAR, TAR.GZ, TAR.BZ2, BH, RAR, ARJ, ARC, ACE, ZOO, GZ, and BZIP2 file formats
    Built-in support for XXE, UUE, and yENC encoded files
    Full MIME (Base 64) support
    Creating ZIP and CAB self-extracting archives using a Wizard interface
    Support for unlimited size ZIP archives, with improved performance when working with 100,000+ files
    Support for Deflate64, providing improved compression results (both size and speed)
    Complete support for PKZIP 4.0 and PKZIP 4.5 disk spanning
    Encryption of files and archives using 5 different methods: Blowfish (128-bit), DES (64-bit), Triple DES (128-bit), AES 128-bit, and AES 256-bit
    Uploading archives or backups directly to FTP sites with multiple profiles supported and timeout option
    Password manager for saving frequently used passwords
    Tool for creating PBS backup scripts and running automated backups
    Internal viewer that supports TXT, RTF, GIF, PNG, BMP, ICO, TIFF, GFI, SGI, EMF, WMF, PPM, Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk, Truevision, ZSoft Paintbrush, Kodak Photo-CD, JASC PaintShop Pro, and Dr. Halo file formats
    Many powerful archive operations (including: renaming files in archive, spanning archives, testing archives, viewing and writing comments, installing archives, and checking archives for viruses)
    Drag and Drop from/to Windows Explorer and the Desktop
    Two ways of viewing archives (Classic - all files in the same listing; Explorer - browsing through an archive like folders in Windows Explorer)
    Viewing files in all view styles, including "as a Web page"
    Complete integration with Windows® (extracting archives and creating archives directly from Windows Explorer using powerful "Explorer Shell Extensions")
    Ability to edit files within an archive using one single operation
    Printing file listing to text file or HTML document
    Tool for repairing corrupted ZIP archives
    Converting between file formats (for example: changing a ZIP archive to CAB archive, or LHA archive to ZIP archive)
    Extracting multiple archives at the same time
    Batch Zip function to create multiple different archives at once
    Favorite Folders to quickly locate archives
    Powerful Find function for searching within an archive
    Auto Update to automatically download and install new versions of PowerArchiver
    External plug-in support
    Powerful help in HTML and a tutorial with pictures for beginners
    Skinnable toolbar that can be docked to any side of the application or float independently
    Full support for WindowBlinds 4.x for skinning
    Windows® XP theme support
    Windows® XP ClearType support

Taken from Download.Com

http://download.com.com/3302-2250_4-10221331.html?pn=1&fb=0

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Notageek,

Here is the page of the always great site List of Lists about Archiving tools:
    http://lists.gpick.com./pages/Archiving_Tools.htm

I myself have WinZip and WinRar (still have to install the newest version of WinRar).

Cheers, Jan.

6. notageek

Thanks Jan and Flux.

Jan, I used winzip 7 ( I think it was 7). It came free with earthlink when I was with earthlink.

Anyone know anything about ultimate zip? Never mind I see that Ultimate zip is adware.

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I prefer Winzip to ultimatezip. Interface is less cluttered, more intuitive. The adware part of UZ is badly implemented too, I think. On startup a splash screen is shown. That';s shown too long work efficiently.

8. Weber

Weber Registered Member

Hi,

WinRar is a good one. It is small and fast.

If you want a free one, try IZArc or 7-zip

9. notageek

Thanks weber. I'm trying IRZac. It's pretty good.

10. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

may wanna try this one it dont have any crypto funtion but its small and does its job resionably well if ya dont like intrusive interfaces like me then this is nice just right clicking on the file/files to be ziped then choose your zip method and ya dont just point and shoot and thats it

Iceows 4.20b

http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html

11. notageek

Thanks Bethrezen. I'll check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.