I must say goodbye to Eset

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by roban, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roban

roban Registered Member

It shouldn't take so much time to configure printer sharing between Windows 7 and Vista. This would be time better spent working.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and with all due respect, have you been working with them for support on this issue. If you have ok, it is your choice, but if not then that is a different matter. You see, I personally disagree with some and feel that Eset is still one of the top products on the market. Slice and dice stuff all you want but I know it works. I also know they have some room to improve, but I would attempt all measures of support before doing what you say. Personally, I like Vista over Windows 7 to.;)

3. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello roban,

If you would like to provide more details about the issue that you are encountering, I would like to see if I can be of help. Also, our support engineers can be contacted through our support request page.
    http://www.eset.com/support/contact.php

Thank you,
    Richard

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Probably you didn't enable pre-release updates which would download a newer build of the firewall module compatible with Windows 7. Doing so would most likely resolve the problem. As for rule configuration, the firewall supports so-called Learning mode in which rules are created automatically as needed for communication.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Excuse me , but this really hurts!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you don't know BUT Windows 7 is officially out since October 22 !!!

You say your products are Windows 7 compatible
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx
    http://www.eset.com/products/MSWin7/index.php

Shame , because again , this seems to be a big lie! According to your word , ESS is not compatiable unless someone downloads the BETA updates . The latest installers does not include these latest BETA updates . Dams , push these updates to the public !!!

I am ashamed I am ESET products reseller , don't know about you - someone who works inside this company.

6. roban

roban Registered Member

I have been an ESET user for about 3 years and still have about 9 months left on my recent license. The issue that has always plagued me is sharing a printer located by USB on my Windows 7 machine with a Vista Pro computer on the same network. If I disable the firewall I have no problems but enabled doesn't show the printer or the computer. I have looked at all the advice on this forum but find no fix for this issue. I want to work, not fix problems. I suppose if there were a clear resolution to this it would help but I have found none.

I have downloaded a trial version of Norton Internet Security 2010 and it works as expected right out of the gate. So, tell me why I should use ESET when I can't network 2 computers without jumping through hoops.

7. martytx

martytx Registered Member

I cannot even download a copy ESET Smart Security under Windows 7. My password that I have had for several years doesn't work and infact the trial ones dont work either.

To bad really. After being a customer for 3 years, it comes down to this.

Also you might want to can the auto generated respones to support emails.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Recently there have been much more reasons not to use ESET than to use it.

Such a simple thing like file and printer sharing works great with ESET Smart Security out of the box (in Windows XP , for example) . Since ESET products are advertised as Windows 7 compatiable , they must work on these OSes , too .

This seems like Vista's SP2 when it was released ESET started working on a fix when a beta of the SP was previously available . Now ,when Windows 7 is out and officially more than 3% of all Internet users are already Windows 7 users , and when ESS is advertised as Win7 compatiable , this must be no problem . However , ESET waited for Windows 7 to be officially available , then one of their employees goes to the local store , buys a copy of it and starts working with it . Windows 7 RC and RTM versions have been available for quite a long time .

In my opinion , it is a big shame one must enable special BETA updates (this options is hidden deep inside and is *BETA* <bugs exist try another> for a product advertised as Win7 working

I have critisized them a lot recently but I'll stop chatting with myself because ESET really don't care . Me , too .

9. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello roban,

Have you set your ESET Smart Security personal firewall to Learning mode, then connect to your printer and set your personal firewall to Automatic mode (with exceptions)?

Thank you,
    Richard

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I had many problems with the firewall that usually went unresolved, in the end I gave up. But you really should just use Windows Firewall, especially with 7, there's no real need for a 3rd party software firewall. I recommend you give Windows Firewall (it works perfectly with everything) and ESET Anti Virus a go and see how they go together, and if it matches your needs.

11. stratoc

stratoc Guest

got to agree with elapsed, there will still many issues on vista, this is a new operating system and i think if you install windows 7 compatible smart you will have many issues for a long while yet. router and windows firewall is more than enough.

12. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

Totally agree, Eset have been extremely slow in sorting out their product to work with Windows 7. As a previous poster has already stated they had plenty of opportunity to use the RC & RTM version. Especially no excuse for not using RTM as code freeze. They really should know better.

They appear not to care for long term, loyal customers, and seem to think customers will put up with shoddy products and service... Times are a changing, there are plenty of other vendors out their that got their products ready and working correctly with Windows 7 by RC & RTM releases!

Shame on Eset for not taking customers seriously.. They deserve to loose business.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please clarify whether ESS is installed on both computers with Vista and Windows 7? Are both listed in the Trusted zone? If so and you didn't set strict protection for either computer, please try enabling pre-release updates in the update setup.

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Totally right ! :thumb:

They also seems not to care about critisizm...

15. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I see that things haven't changed in recent years... What a shame. Maybe it's time for Wilders Security to let Eset make their own forums somewhere at www.eset.com or so and let another company take over. There are far better ones, who care about customers. I had my bad experiences in the past too. Shame that nothing changed.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ESET is attempting to assist a user in this tread. I haven't seen a response from the original poster as yet.

Let's leave all the complaint posts out of this thread so assistance can be provided.

17. kmr1685

kmr1685 Registered Member

hello mr.edwin024 o_O could you please tell me which one has ready to use security suite ready for win7. as for as truth is every product has is own glitches and pit fall and good stuff. if you do not like 1 product do not use it say away from it thats it problem solved. people do not shout against eset people or similar in this forum. they are just staff in the company. i belive they are not company or broad of directors ok :isay: . keep it soft and everybody lets enjoy helping each others.

thanking you :D

ps: as a matter of fact i do not want to hurt anyone. just use the product you like. and let others enjoy what they got. peace :D

18. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Norton Internet Security has no problems at my Win7 64 bit PC. And I had my share of problems with the so called staff here from Eset...

19. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Not to be overly critical but the user who "requested assistance" only said -quote- "It shouldn't take so much time to configure printer sharing between Windows 7 and Vista. This would be time better spent working." and then he said -quote- "I have looked at all the advice on this forum but find no fix for this issue. I want to work, not fix problems. I suppose if there were a clear resolution to this it would help but I have found none."

That is not an assistance request, it is a statement.

There is not much to assist either since there are no hardware specs and he does not say how he has ESS set up on those machines.

Never the less, he stated a true issue about ESS and that is: NO COMPATIBILITY WITH WINDOWS 7.

And I personally know this to be a fact, since I own 2 windows 7 machines and there is NO EASY WAY to set up a lan with ESS. And don't get me started on trying to set up a homegroup, which is IMPOSSIBLE unless you uninstall ESS and use just EAV.

Also there are many other issues that while confirmed by many users have not been addressed or even denied by Eset forum members -do a search and you'll be surprised- so, I know the post turned into a bashing contest of sorts but all that has been said by the users here is, in a way, an indication of what the original poster can expect form ESS.

That is -DON'T USE IT until Eset really set it right, in the mean time, use EAV, if you like the product and Windows own firewall or the firewall of your choice.

20. thylacine

thylacine Registered Member

i encoutered this before. here's what i did:

find out what is the IP of the printer.
    add this IP into the TRUSTED ZONE.
    communication to/fro printer shall be allowed.

21. roban

roban Registered Member

Well after tech support sending me many resolutions all of which included setting the firewall to interactive mode, I finally got it working but only by setting the firewall to automatic mode. When I did that it saw my printer immediately and connected with no problems.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Outstanding roban.:thumb: Glad to see that support was there for you and you have decided to remain part of the best family around. Good job.:)

23. tactful

tactful Registered Member

We have to agree and there are a lot of us.We do no see Eset in our future unless they can or do catch up with the rest of the Vendors out there.yes they have an excellent record however somewhere someone dropped the ball on keeping up to date it seems.I can say I like it more than others but that is just I.cannot speak for anyone else that have encountered problems.they are going to do what they must to find user friendly business security.Support? where and from who.Eset might do better with support the answers a phone(with alive person/tech) instead of using a forum format IMHO -no one seems to have those numbers if they exsist

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  24. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In the United States and Canada, ESET's toll-free number is +1 (866) 343-3738 [or +1 (619) 876-5400]. Free support is available from 6:00AM to 6:00PM (Pacific) Mondays through Fridays.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

25. nawfal07

nawfal07 Registered Member

I'm also saying goodbye to ESET Smart Security. Upgraded to Windows 7, firewall's not working, done all the uninstallation/installation (even done the safe-mode method) but still fails. Settled for Windows firewall instead. And today my network suddenly stopped working, did everything (spent 3 hours) I can think when finally thought of uninstalling ESET, voila, everything works again.

I don't have time to go through support and troubleshooting every few days. Really hope ESET will solve all the problems, so that all users at all level can use it with peace of mind. If you buy something that keeps giving you problems, then it's a waste. All the best ESET.

PS: My license valid until June 2010, anybody know if and how I can get a refund?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.