I miss GoBack! Can TI let me do the same as easily?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mathilde, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathilde

mathilde Registered Member

Hi,

though I'm totally new to these forums, I've now read a lot about Acronis True Image Home in here and can see that it backs up everything on one's hard drive. I just wonder how closely it can be made to resemble GoBack.

I cannot use GoBack on my new system and would be happy to find a product that does the same thing.

I see that TI can be set to backup data and system files automatically, however I don't know how OFTEN that process can be set for. With GoBack, a mistake could happen (by me or by something else) and I could revert the system and the data files to a *very* specific time - even to a few minutes (seconds?) beforehand.

I'd really like to know if True Image is a totally valid replacement for GoBack, or is there another software that you would recommend?

I've been impressed by the level of sharing and helping here and hope that you can help me also with this query.

With thanks,

mat

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mat

Unfortunately no matter how frequently you image it isn't a replacement. I faced this issue when I dropped goback My solution was AJC software's, Active Backup. It allows you to specifiy files types, like word docs, and directorys these files are in to protect. Then anytime you exit the program, or do a save it archives the file. This way you can go back to previous versions of that file. Has been a lifesaver for me.

Pete

3. mathilde

Thank you Pete.
    I recall that I was also referred to Karen's Replicator as worth looking at. I so much miss GoBack that I really want to find something that is as close as possible to that.
    Regards,
    mat

4. Peter2150

I looked at Karen's. I just don't like the time thing. The AJC software does it automatically on save or exit. Once archived you can restore any version either replacing the current one or in a new location having both of them. It's fairly cheap, and it has saved me many a time.

5. mathilde

Pete. I looked up that Active Backup and the AJC site and it *does* look good - or as good as I am going to get next to GoBack.

Thank you very much. Such help is invaluable.

mat

6. owiee

owiee Registered Member

HI: Give RollBack a try it's the next best thing to goback. I used Goback for years now I use RollBack. Go to www.horizondatasys.com and look at Rollback. Owen

7. Peter2150

Owen

I also use Rollback and it is no way near to being the same. The AJC software archives the files you specify on each save of the file or exit of the program. You can then retrieve the prior versions by right clicking on the file in windows explorer. Yes in theory you could do that with Rollback, but in practice trying to take a Rollback snapshot, on every spreadsheet or word doc etc save during the day wouldn't be practical.

Pete

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I guess there are two "issues" here, one is dealing with the OS and the other is dealing with data files.

TI works well for system files because as a rule they usually get screwed up by poor software when installed. I make an image before installing software and so it is easy to revert to the previous state. Also, you know it is exactly the same state.

Data files are a different story if your intent is keeping a continuous list of versions. You could trigger an incremental backup of your files and folders but it probably would be best done manually rather than timed.

I have often felt that a weakness in the PC file system is its lack of versions. I have used OSs that always leave the previously written files and just add a new version to the folder. Having said that, since I'm accustomed to the PC I am in the habit of saving when I feel I have made sufficient changes/additions to the file and I also change names from time-to-time so I have versions available. Far from automatic though.

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There are other solutions in this genre - for example, using Mozy Backup, which has file versioning similar to what you're suggesting, but in this case, the files are stored elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.