I love ESET as a Company! But I dislike this behavior very much!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by SweX, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I was just reading the Avast Blog wich I do every now and then.
    Since AVAST is a vendor that I love as well.

But when I came to this Post about ESET, let's just say I wasn't happy anymore.
    http://blog.avast.com/2011/02/04/eset’s-creative-interpretation-of-testing/

I just feel that ESET DON'T need to do it this way. (there are other ways)
    Going down the path that some other vendors have done! (No names)
    There's no need destroying a loved, and respectable product like NOD32.

What do you think, Is this the right path that ESET should push NOD32 in?

Thank you.

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I do agree on the fact that ESET should always use the latest test available to make comparisons. However that would mean that ESET only can use the latest VirusBulletin RAP since that is the only test it really excelled.

But it is also a fact that all vendors do these controversial "comparisons", Prevx's graphic on the main page, despite they explain it. For example in that blog post of avast!, why does use the VirusBulletin test for heuristisc, where ESET and avast! both have scores of around 80%. Why don't they use the AV-Comparatives Retrospective test, where ESET scores way higher than avast! does. All vendors use the tests performed selectively.

This is also why I hardly pay any attention anymore to what tests say about the various options in the market. But base my verdict on my own experiences.
    However I surely have a look at them, atleast the following: VirusBulletin RAP, AV-Comparatives and AV-Test. Also I have to admit I do like the flash tests by Malware Research Group.

To avoid doubt, avast! does a great job at delivering such a good product for free.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see your point Matt.

But I just feel that if ESET really have to do comparisons they should get the facts right.
    Or the vendor(s) that is unfairly beeing compared by ESET is letting ESET know about it,
    in a not so good way as we see in this example.

But I also think that vendors should Stop comparing each other if they are participating in tests as those by AV-Comparatives, Virus-Bulletin, AV-Test etc....
    If the Vendor IS participating in those test, then simply point a link to the results on the organizations website,
    instead of making own Graphichs comparing the products.
    Meaning that if the vendors post a link to the results on the Org's website they will not be able to write the results wrong in their own comparisons.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    This is natural in the business world. Marketing strategies, psycho business tactics, etc... just to grab the attention of the masses. Even in showbiz, it happens naturally...talent managers, producers, etc.. will do anything they can just to attract attentions...to promote their talents and movies. :D

Avast, I'm impressed that they have free version offered to the masses. Just like Avira...the free version really attracts attentions of pc users and if it has high detection rates then it's a big plus. I've used the two antivirus in the past but somehow one way or the other I just become dissatisfied that I've now switched to NOD32 and I liked it.

Business war is so common, but what's important are their products. Consumers decides if products are really good or not. Comparative tests are very useful, especially for us very active in forums like this, but still, the masses decides which one they would really choose.

5. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I know. I'm embarest being an ESET user:oops: ;)

And My suggestion is that the Vendors not only ESET.
    Should put a link to the test that is available to the public on the test organizations websites,
    instead of creating their own flashy graphics.
    Way better, way simpler and way more trustworthy!

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Of course , this is NOT the right path for any company . But you say " I just feel that ESET DON'T need to do it this way " .
    I can only say ESET DOES need to do it this way in order to survive. ESET is no longer on top in any test . Take a look at them all - AV-Comparatives , AV-Test , Virus Bulletin - ESET is not on top . ESET hasn't made new version for the last two years and hasn't made any major visible changes since the appearance of v3 back in 2007. ESET is like a sleeping beauty back in 2008. That is why they always and everywhere demostrate muscles with tests from 2008.

Its another point that they ALL do it . Although our company is a Symantec partner and it wouldn't be that good for me to speak it - when we visit regular Symantec partner events (one of it was to present us with their products - including Symantec Endpoint Protection) . When they showed us comparisons - they used data from 2007/2008 . Additionally , they used data and even screenshots for Norton (Norton is so different from Symantec Endpoint Protection when it comes to performance , detection and features). Even though Symantec is strong now in tests (it is because of Norton , not because of SEP). So , I mean everybody shows their strongest parts - not weak points. I must note that these events were private and not publicating anything for the public , which is different from what ESET UK has done now.

I have seen at least two similar recent examples where ESET UK office/distributor advertises ESET with wrong data . Symantec are a bit pissed off by this and they have showed it to us in an event.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

There's a big, big difference between choosing which test results to use in advertisements, and outright lying about the test results.

After all these years, it's sad to see that Eset, or at least its marketing department, STILL has zero integrity.

10. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Oh , yes - of course :thumb: You are absolutely right. But also using very old (that may be 2-3 years old in such a dynamic world like the malware world) can also be a lie since it is misleading way to advertise yourself .

12. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

13. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Sleeping beauty cannot make comments because it will be against the company's policy to be silent. What they can do is to close this thread :D

14. vtol

vtol Registered Member

marketing is marketing and competitors hitting each other (MS vs Apple, Oracle vs. SAP, Verizon vs. T-Mobile, Republicans vs. Democrats, ...). other vendors do run similar campaigns where their product/candidate shines always on top, curiously.

and obviously it must be successful marketing with customers else such stuff would not show repeatedly, dressed in different colors. customers being lied to every day and just love it, mostly.

so, what the big outcry? you are happy with the product as it sounds. the marketing strategy should be no concern except for those in charge at Eset,

15. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Of course they should. It shows continuity among other things. It shows they are always up there with the top. And as written on the top of the link

http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition
    "..
    Virus Bulletin tests, May 1998 through December 2010 – www.virusbtn.com
    .."
    marketing look on the average it seems and it is up to other AV marketing dept to challenge that. Earn they keep. What is important is to be safe and all the top AV will provide that.

16. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Results of tests are open for interpretation. Eset won the Bronze prize for 2009 from AV-Comparatives. This discussion has taken place many times on this forum.
    I don't look at most marketing since I know much of it is BS.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Indeed I am very happy with the product:D . But this is not about the product.:(

Yes, But those in charge need to know that the users are unhappy about this kind of marketing. Or they will never change to market their product in a way that is good for the companys reputation.

18. vtol

vtol Registered Member

well, then credit to your conscience and inquiring about the Eset marketing strategy!

but wondering whether Eset is the only corporation you feel wrong doing or any other product you ever bought kept their honest marketing promise/display? is Avast (as the issue stems from their forum) committing honest de facto marketing?

19. vtol

vtol Registered Member

so, you consider dropping the product as the Eset marketing is not up to your liking? well, probably if 10% + of the (potential) customers arrive at the same conclusion Eset will reconsider. as long as their marketing analysts consider it successful the chances of changing might be pretty slim

20. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Or maybe if people like you keep speaking up in defense of such shady practices, it's another reason for Eset to continue feeding us more of the same.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I guess we both know that the answer is NO, ESET is Not alone doing wrong.
    But I guess I care a little bit more about ESET I'f that's OK with you ;)

No idea, but if I was using any software from AVAST I would probably research about it.

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Never, don't you know that the BETA 5.0 party starts soon:isay:

I really don't like what thay are doing, but hey I can't take over as CEO can I HAHA.

But if no one complains they will never know that what they are doing is wrong.

23. vtol

vtol Registered Member

not defending anything, merely blurring out my 5 cents on the matter. of course the world is supposed to be better with straight facts and honesty, yet is has evolved the contrary. and it seems that more and more people awakening to the situation and even starting to question it.

now let us see how many users will voice their concern about the Eset marketing.

24. vtol

vtol Registered Member

no worries there

never know, give it a shot. maybe they make you an offer anyways, now that they know

25. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

Really for a big company as ESET is really sad is shameful, demonstrates a degree of failure, but is only way to guarantee milk for children. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.