I lost all system restore points except for the last two

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jbionic, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbionic

jbionic Registered Member

I noticed that my system lost all system restore points except for the last two. I did full scan of my system using MSE, which showed no immediate threats. I also scanned the system with Spybot S&D, which showed no threats too.
    What else do I need to do in order to ensure that my system has not been compromised?

System: Windows 7 Home Basic SP1 x64 (6.1.7601), MSE 1.103.395.0, Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
    Computer: Acer Extensa 4630Z

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

What do you mean by "lost"? They get periodically pruned according to the disk space allocated to this feature.

(Also, this whole thing is notoriously prone to self-corruption according to my experience.)

3. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Have you used any third-party defrag utilities? Some of them are known for eliminating restore points.

4. jbionic

I have Piriform's Defraggler, but never used it really. Normally Windows runs its own defragmentation utility.

Surely I know that Windows occasionally cleanses any out-dated leftovers. I wouldn't have come up with such question, if there were always only 2 restore points available instead of usual 10-20

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Not really sure what advice you expect. The RPs are gone, that's it.

(As for scanning, next time I would suggest something actually effective instead of Spybot.)

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

7. jbionic

Yes, you may make your suggestion now. I will gratefully accept it. :)

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

9. Triple Helix

Triple Helix Webroot Product Advisor

Since I switched to SSD Drives I don't use system restore to cut back on unneeded Reads/Writes! I'm not saying that anyone turn it off and leave it off I just do now and make daily back-ups of important files just in case.

TH

10. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hmmm....Puran Defrag sometimes does that with PIOZR enabled. TuneUP Utiities also. Image backup app is really best top it with RollbackRx. Anyway, I was browsing the sevenforums.com the other day and found a very nifty tool for auto-creation of system restore point. Tried it out myself and it's great:) .

LINK

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  11. jbionic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.