I Know Your Going to Hate Me, But I'm Using MWBAM, and Heimdal Thor Premium Home...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rodneym, Aug 30, 2018.

1. rodneym

rodneym Registered Member

And Windows Firewall....Defender is turned off

Now I know lots of people say, you shouldn't use 2 AV's....

BUT a few write-ups have been done, and MWBAM is suppose to work differently than a traditional AV.

Also from just my own point of view, if you use MWBAM on Win10, technically aren't you in the same situation, since you have Windows Defender running? Defender is MS's antivirus, right?

So I figure I have. MWBAM, and Heimdal, and Heimdal has incorporated Avira's signatures.

PC running very fast.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Won't draw any negative or cautionary note from this user-Win 10 is of course a different behaving machine HOWEVER apart from WD on shut0ff, if your PC is running very fast and compatibility is stable with them BOTH for you-that can be a bonus since it's another layered approach. Some might caution but that would have to do with those (2) you decided to implement for your choices. Best of luck that combo fits your expectation with top results and no performance issues sneak up later as they run in tandem protecting your good machine.

3. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Isn`t MBAM compatible with another av product running anyway ? So shouldn`t be a problem so long as WD is turned off.

Just to add to the wise words above, if you do get a BSOD at least you`ll have a fair idea what is causing it.

Regards Eck:)

4. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Unless things have changed, MBAM is not a true AV, it is a "companion" to your regular AV, like other posters said.
    These names are a bit slippery, because some companies call their AV by the name of antimalware. But MB makes a clear distinction between a traditional AV and "antimalware".

Another example of a companion "antimalware" is Zemana.

5. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been renamed to simply as it is now a full AntiVirus so no longer it is just another layer that still needed a base AntiVirus

I only run Malwarebytes + Windows firewall + AdBlock Plus on my machine, super fast and I need nothing else. I have a lifetime subscription for Malwarebytes.

6. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

MBAM runs well with Windows Defender on my 2 pc's and 1 laptop. Guess it depends on what combination you use.

7. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

The two play nicely together, although WD often gets first opportunity to eliminate the nasties. I tried to run some malware sandboxed and WD got to it first.

I don't think it is that important on the combinations you use, if you are aware of the need for security there is a good chance you will take less risks, which is better than relying on protection alone.

8. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Unless something changed. You can configure Malwarebytes setting to make it your standalone AV solution

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  9. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I will quote a Malwarebytes expert about this:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/225304-antivirus/?tab=comments#comment-1226827

Malwarebytes 3 is adequate on its own considering the nature of modern threats (PUPs, malvertising, exploits, ransomwares); it is much better than some tests paint it and the current version is much faster and stabler than the initial release.

You could always combine it with a good adblocker like uBlock Origin and NoVirusThanks free tools like SysHarderner and OSArmor to have a very powerful combo with low system impact; just add VirusTotal Windows Uploader to have more awareness about new files and you are set.

10. enemyofarsenic

enemyofarsenic Registered Member

Does Mbam Web Protection co-exist with Thor's Darklayer Guard?

11. j9ksf

j9ksf Registered Member

I have not experienced any problems with Malwarebytes and Thor Pro. I also run Webroot.

12. enemyofarsenic

enemyofarsenic Registered Member

3 resident AV at the same time?

13. j9ksf

j9ksf Registered Member

They all have a different approach, but I find Webroot to be my favourite. Thor has little impact.

14. gery

gery Registered Member

now it says at their site that it also protects from hackers :thumbd:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.