I know nothing about pc security. Where to start ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vig, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vig

vig Registered Member

Hi , I'm very concern about pc security. I've read many things about computer viruses, worms, firewall ... but I still dont get the basic.

Ok, lets say my PC is connected to the internet. No hardware/software firewall is installed (Windows Firewall service is also turnoff), no AV is running. Is there anyway someone could manipulate my PC such as starting a process, managing files etc ? If yes, then HOW ? Of course I assume that Im not infect with trojans and dont use IE.

Thanks and sorry about my bad English.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

By default, Windows has several services running that open ports to the network. Worms can exploit security vulnerabilities (or even sometimes legitimate functions) in those services to upload malware to your system and execute it. The same can hold true for internet software. An attacker can also use scripts on a webpage to make your browser download and execute code, and can do the same by email if your email client is set to view HTML mail.

For more specific technical information on vulnerabilities, you may want to visit www.secunia.com

3. vig

vig Registered Member

So if a skillfull h*cker know your IP and you have no protection then you're dead ?

Edit:
    I shouldnt waste your time on this but I cant find any writtings with specific information about this. For example : A can run xxx program to know xxx of B's computer. Then A run xxx to access B's computer. Then he does xxx to browse B's files etc...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi vig & welcome to Wilders, :D
    Stick around and read lots of topics which will give you a good understanding.
    If you've a question, don't hesitate to ask it. :)
    Basic rule is to have a firewall to protect you and having an AV to stop virusses, trojans, ...
    Don't go on the internet without it. :eek:
    If you don't apply the above, I'm sure you'll be infected pretty fast. If I recall, it takes about 22 minutes to get infected.
    If you do receive a port scan, the hacker will know you exist because you haven't any protection and as such he can do whatever he likes with your PC. :mad:

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If you are looking to learn how to do this, you will not find such help here, if however you want to see an example of an unsecured system becoming infected you can watch a video taken by the BBC HERE

Cheers

Blackspear.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Welcome vig!

The basic's aren't alway's easy until you've been exposed to some of the "security speak" so to say. Figuring a site that would supply you with good layman's term's and a wide variety of topic's to help increase your awareness, Bleeping Computer's tutorial section may be just the place to start. Here you'll find five exhaustive pages loaded with what I think your looking for. It will also be helpful to word/topic search Wikipedia.org's online encyclopedia, which link's several term's relating to your chosen topic within.

GF

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

For some reason, everyone I know that's seen that article (myself included) missed the video links at the top at first. So just to bring attention to it, just above the separator at the top of the article (below the header) is links to the actual video, which has more content then the transcript on that page.

8. vig

vig Registered Member

Thanks Notok,GlobalForce for those links. It looks like I'm going to have a busy weekend :) . That video is very impressive, BlackSpear.

Yeah, this is exactly what Im wonder. Are our computers that vulnerable ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.