I keep getting this message from Sandboxie when starting up the computer.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sooflymami, Sep 10, 2015.

1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

This appears when I use sandboxie after turning on the computer and it keeps appearing when I click on icon to start it up, I see this is related to Microsoft Office but I don't use that nor have I ever used it in the past, why is this popping up for a program I don't use related to this software that doesn't even have Office in its start/restriction settings at all? This happened all the sudden recently and I have never had had this problem before. I have been using sandboxie often for testing websites to see if they are safe lately, do you think this could be related?

Attached Files:

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi sooflymani, I cant tell why ctfmon.exe attempts to run in your browser sandbox as you click the SandboxedWebBrowser icon but since that process is not required for browsing, you can hide messages 1308 and 2314. Next time you get this messages, click Hide on each.

Perhaps search your computer for Ctfmon.exe, you should find it in C:\Windows\System32. If you find ctfmon.exe somewhere else and looks suspicious, upload the file to Virus total to see what it says.

Bo

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

From your post I don't see which application are you trying to run sandboxed. This could happen if you try to run Windows explorer sandboxed before ctfmon.exe was started during system startup. If I remember correctly ctfmon is started by explorer.exe.

5. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

I'm not trying to run Windows Explorer sandboxed..I'm trying to run Waterfox explorer sandbox
    Here is the picture of when I looked up the process, I'm not running IE, I am running Waterfox in Sandboxie, what should I do I'm confused.

Attached Files:

6. bo elam

No need to worry, sooflymami. What I suggested earlier is what you should do. Next time you run Waterfox sandboxed and you get the messages, click on message 1308 and click Hide. Immediately after hiding that message, do the same for message 2314. Doing this will get rid of this messages for good. Hiding this messages is not going to affect the way you use Waterfox.

I never gotten messages about ctfmon.exe attempting to run when running anything sandboxed, not even when I run Office files using Microsoft Office or when running Windows explorer in a sandbox. But others have. Its rare and usually the SBIE user is using something from Comodo. But whatever, there's no need to worry about anything.:)

Bo

7. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

I can fully confirm sooflymami's observations.

On my computer since some minutes happens exactly the same (in my case when trying to start Firefox in Sandboxie).

I opened a thread about the issue in the Sandboxie Forum:
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21966

PS:
    At least in my case there is no connection with Comodo because I use nothing concerning it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. WhoDatGuy

WhoDatGuy Registered Member

9. bo elam

If this issue started happening a few minutes after updating your AV, then its possible that you now have a conflict.

By the way, Peter, I think, hiding a SBIE message is OK only when the sandboxed program still works well after doing so. In your case, since Firefox is not working then hiding the message doesn't help.

Bo

10. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Thanks, but yes, I need it.

Signature updating happens more or less permanently (without even being realized). But I am not aware of any fundamental update of my AV (Norton Internet Security) in the last time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.