I just bought FD-ISR because of Eric and Pete!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by flinchlock, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

After reading a zillion posts about FD-ISR, I was thinking maybe buy it. :doubt:

This post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172032 convinced me! :D

Also the coupon code in this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171313 still works! :D

Thank your Eric and Pete. :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

P.S. Now all I need to do is rearrange my partitions so I have room for snapshots. (Really not a big deal for me.)

P.S.S. I did not even try the trial... just went ahead any bought it.

EDIT: Oops... it is ERIK, not ERIC... sorry.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Eric and Pete played big part in my decision aswell. They deserve a big thank you!!:thumb:

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Welcome to the club flinchlock !!! FDISR will open a new world for you. :)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Amen to the welcome and the wonderful world of exploring FDISR. IF you have any questions, we are here.

Pete

5. ErikAlbert

LOL. I'm used to be called Eric, I don't care about that at all. Names or just names.
    Eric is the French version of Erik. :D

6. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

GREAT!!! Glad the coupon worked for you!

7. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Ditto here. Their answers to me and reading other threads, that they posted in, helped a great deal.
    Thanks, again!!:cool:

8. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Yes, a lot of great information on here about FDISR, many thanx to all the contributors. After reading quite a bit over the weekend on these threads I trialed for 24 hrs and bought a copy for my desktop Monday, might get one for the laptop as well :)

9. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

I was already using FD-ISR before I came here, but I do owe Erik a big thank you for nLite. I've never managed to figure out Microsoft's own silent installation procedures, but I'm pretty damn sure that they can't be as simple and as straightforward as nLite is.

Thanks, Erik.

ob-FD-ISR. Of course, FD-ISR is the single most important piece of software on my computer. Currently running 4 snapshots and 7 online archives (if you include Freeze Storage in that, and why wouldn't I?)

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

It was actually our member Dallen who first brought FD-ISR to my attention, but like the cluts i can be, it went in one ear and out the other at the time. (The guy was trying to tell me something, Duh)

I always felt it was inevitably impossible for any program to overcome those never ending chains of constrainment $M fashioned into Windows.

I can't accurately say when or where exactly, but it was because of BOTH Peter2150 & ErikAlbert who sounded off the horn loud enough in their posts that finally made me at least take notice. Their inspiration and satisfaction was undeniably evident in every post and/or reply as it continues to this day.

These member's for all practical purposes are entirely responsible for turning my attention and convincing me that FD-ISR is a Mega-Program! It was just enough to overwhelm my curiosity and now both my system and me couldn't be more complete. LoL

Now i see where before i was blind:rolleyes:

11. ErikAlbert

Thanks, most appreciated.
    Yes, nLite is a very userfriendly tool to create a customized "Windows CD".
    A one-time job and you never have to do it again. Good for lazy persons like me. :D

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Indeed! And then some. :thumb:

13. Peter2150

It's funny, I found FDISR, after discovering Go-Back which I loved, had a nasty flaw. Since then some of the things FDISR has recovered me from are amazing. But without question, being a ble to change a system from Vista back to XP stands out as the wowest.

It is no doubt an exciting an phenomenal piece of software. It is a lot of fun to see others gain the feeling of security I've had with it.

Glad to see all the new comers here.

Pete

14. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Let us not forget the best thing, Todd Lear, the original developer... http://redmondmag.com/reviews/article.asp?editorialsID=523

Mike

15. Peter2150

16. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I hope you 'enjoy' FDISR. I've been using it for just over a year now and without sounding like a sales rep, it's an awesome product. My whole system is based around it, and if there's some incompatible software that conflicts with FDISR, then out it goes - I will NOT compromise FDSIR for any other program. It's saved me time on numerous occasions, plus it's also a fabulous piece of security software.

I've learned a lot just reading posts from Peter2150 and ErikAlbert to name just a couple, but I really do feel that both of their praise for this product is totally justified. I personally found it pretty simple to use from the start, but some find it difficult to use at first - I just found the help that came with the program so informative. One tip that I read on this forum, which I totally endorse - read the documentation a couple of times to take in exactly what it can do, even if you don't understand it all at first (I didn't!).

Use it, try it, but please don't give up on it - you won't regret it.

17. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Yes they do!!! I started this quest with GoBack, then I went to ShadowUser and about a year ago I found this Forum, and thanks to Erik and Peter, I immediately purchased First Defense. I regard FDISR as the mainstay application on my system.

Thanks for all of your help,

Silver

18. ErikAlbert

I agree with your post, except for one thing : calling FDISR a security software is totally wrong.
    Users made the same mistake with PowerShadow (PS) and discussed PS in the wrong forum "other anti-malware software" and PS is certainly NOT an anti-malware.

FDISR doesn't know what malware is, it doesn't recognize malware in any possible way and
    this might sound even more strange : it doesn't remove malware either.

If you call FDISR a security software, than you have to call any Image Backup software, like StorageCraft, Acronis, Terabyte, Paragon, ... also a security software and that is also NOT true.

FDISR is an Immediate System Recovery software and it only removes CHANGES by comparing two snapshots with one another during the copy/update : the source snapshot and the destination snapshot, which can also be an archived snapshot.
    During copy/update all changes are removed by adding, deleting and replacing objects until the destination snapshot is equal to the source snapshot. Even a frozen snapshot is just another variant of copy/update.

Because FDISR doesn't see the difference between good and bad changes (malware) it removes ALL changes and the fact that it removes also GOOD changes can be considered as a problem or not a problem, this is open for discussion.

If a malware installs itself in a snapshot (frozen or not), it will do its evil job and FDISR won't do anything about it.

PS does the same thing, but in a different way, I think it empties a virtual container and that's how it keeps your harddisk UNCHANGED.

In FDISR it is very important that you keep your SOURCE snapshot as CLEAN as possible, because if your SOURCE snapshot isn't clean, it will infect your work snapshot(s) and archived snapshot(s) over and over again.
    Keeping your SOURCE snapshot malware-free is NOT easy and it depends on how good you are and how good your security setup is. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  19. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Well, I consider backup software to be security software because it is part of the security strategy. My strategy is:

1. Prevent malware
    2. Detect and remove malware that does get on the machine
    3. Recover from a malware attack which is more than just removing the malware. It is getting your system back to pre-attack status.

So I think it makes sense to discuss backup software and system restore software in the same breath as antimalware software. I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

I also consider virtualization and sandboxing programs as "antimalware" even though they don't differentiate between malware and nonmalware.

20. ErikAlbert

Image Backup has only one goal, restoring your computer, when something goes wrong, whatever the cause may be.
    If I had NO internet, I would still need Image Backup to recover my system after a legitimate software attack or my mistakes or a harddisk crash.
    You are mixing problems, that have nothing to do with eachother and that's why you consider Image Backup and ISR as security softwares.
    If my images are infected, each image will infect my computer over and over again, just like source snapshots.
    Infecting your own computer by restoring infected images, isn't really security, isn't it ?

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I consider FD to be security software but NOT in the way perhaps others do.

It makes me feel secure.

Not from nasties, but from situations I no longer want, such as unliked software, and system messups.

22. mrfargoreed

Fair point ErikAlbert - I knew as I wrote that that I would possibly be corrected :)D ). I know that technically FDISR isn't a security application, but I (personally) consider ATI a security application as well - instant recovery is a way of keeping my machine free of malware and user errors.

Depends how you use FDISR, surely? I update my Primary Snapshot every morning just in case I am stupid enough to get infected during the day. So, if my Primary Snapshot does get infected, I can restore it with the copy I took a few hours earlier - which is not infected. Isn't this a way of keeping my machine 'secure', in a loose sense? I know FDISR's primary function isn't to keep out malware, but by restoring uninfected images isn't this what it can do if used in a certain way?

23. ErikAlbert

As long your source snapshot/archive is clean and working properly, FDISR will keep your computer clean and trouble-free after each copy/update, no matter what you use : rollback snapshot or archive or freeze storage, all three are good.

Of course there is always a vulnerable period between TWO copy/updates and that's why you still need security softwares to stop any possible installation/execution of malware during that vulnerable period.
    FDISR takes only care of (100%) removal of malware (better than any scanner), not the installation or execution, the worst part of malware. :)

24. mrfargoreed

Exactly - it's all down to the common sense of the user. Don't surf on the wild side (without protection), don't install software that you are unsure about, and don't extract archived files to a clean machine. One of FDISR's best 'features' is that if I want to do all three of these things, I know that as long as I have made a copy of my perfect, clean system, I can test what software I like (and, importantly, re-boot to continue testing - something that PowerShadow and Sandboxie don't allow as far as I know) and simply re-copy my perfect snapshot back and my machine is perfect and clean again.

25. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.