I hope Kaspersky Team Reads This!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DasFox, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey dasfox,
    you cannot compare the rescue cd and system restore in kav to ifw....
    the rescue cd in kav simply uses bartpe to create bootable cd with kav on it to scan and clean infected computers and remove malware that couldnt be removed when windows was running. quite useful IMO. doesnt make kav bloated.
    it also has a link to download the linux based recovery cd which isnt avaliable yet.
    the system restore is a little extra feature to disable functions like autorun on harddrives and usb drives to stop malware infecting your system by just pluggin in a usb drive. it has a few other little tools as well.
    i dont see it really needed but its not bloat eiether.

so you want just a simple realtime av?
    as stated do a custom install with just antimalware. read above why the rescue cd and system restore functions are part of it above.
    you can even uninstall email and im and webtraffic and just have files and memory.

a year ago a realtime av was enough.
    but nowadays malware spreads so fast a realtime av with fast signiture detection and decent heristics is not enough.

malware authors can ship out a new variant very quickly and make sure no av can detect it.
    thats where HIPS come in. to ask on potentially dangerous actions.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Nope...I want internet security and that is what I get with KIS 2009...in terms of what I want and get this is the best suite I have tested...period.

Each to their own...and there are plenty to choose from if you are not happy with KIS!

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Baldrick, dasfox wants to a Kaspersky AV only product. And feels let down by buying KAV or KIS which do more that ye'old AV.

IMO, having a lean Kaspersky AV only product would be good. Since it allows me to leverage the strong AV engine and add components like Firewall and HIPS which I may like from other vendors.

Just because you like it or you feel its good, doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same (period)
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions and be able to voice their thoughts (period)

You want Internet Suite, Dasfox wants only AV. His problem is he is not willing to let go of Kaspersky for other solutions.... Again his choice.

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

vijayind, lets be clear about one thing...I do not need you to explain what dasfox is after. He can write Engllish perfectly well.

That is your opinion...and you are welcome to it. Kaspersky have decided what they want to develop & market. What they propose is heavily debated on the Kaspersky forum...I suggest that you raise the issue there but I suspect that you will find few takers.

Ditto!!!!

Ditto!!!!

At last something we agree on and therefore he should do what he wants (PERIOD)

5. subset

subset Registered Member

And for that reason Kaspersky nowadays prefers to offer a outdated KIS 7 version for free as Kaspersky Security Suite CBE.
    Nice advertising slogan would be:
    "Because we know it's not enough."
    A free basic up-to-date AV (like other vendors offer) would make more sense.

BTW does anyone know how to deactivate KIS 2009 HIPS and Emulator without killing the FW at the same time?

Because I have only managed to shutdown HIPS incl. FW and Emulator permanently to use a 3rd-party HIPS with KIS.
    But I would like to use AV and FW with a 3rd-party HIPS.

Cheers

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just think atm companies pay for kav6 lol.
    will be upgraded to kav2009 soon but not yet.
    so in that respect kis7.0 for free is a good deal.

7. vijayind

Agreed (Period) .... :thumb:

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry I wasn't being clear here on a few areas.

1. If Kaspersky is calling the program 'Antivirus', what I meant was to make it that, meaning to also have malware detection too, that would be foolish to remove that and only have it as an AV program...

2. Let's be clear with the subject matter! ---> ANTIVIRUS...

3. System Recovery & Rescue CD, and Phishing along with Security vulnerability fixing and patching is not the REAL job of an realtime protection/scanner AV malware application...

People argue that these vulnerabilities and phishing tools improve security to lessen the chances of a virus or malware. Yes possibly to a point, but I can speak on a personal and professional level that this is also not true. IF, and I STRESS the WORD, 'IF' here, that if you have experience to deal with the matter then you won't run into any of these problems. Some of these tools are better suited in the hands of the less experienced that don't know how to deal with these problems in other ways, such as OS hardening, and closing down a system, running a proper firewall, and understanding safe internet habits, etc...

5. As long as Kaspersky will at least give the end-user the option of removing what they don't want in the Custom Setup, then I'm happy.

Companies like Kaspersky need to realize there is also an experienced user-base out there that wants an AV/Malware realtime protection/scanner application, and will supplement their system security and recovery to other tools, like myself included, that I feel handle the job better.

Have I made myself more clear now? :)

THANKS

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all:

A couple of off-topic posts have been removed.

The thread has a topic and everyone should plan to stick with that subject matter and not litter the thread with comments regarding your fellow posters.

Blue

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I found this reported by PC Magazine regarding Anti-Phishing in KIS:

KIS2009 blocked just 44% of the phishing URLs, compared with 67% for IE7 and 81% for Firefox. NIS2008 came in second with 76%. The antiphishing feature won't harm your system, but both IE7 and Firefox have better protection built in—nearly twice as good, in the case of Firefox.

If there is truth to this, then the Anti-Phishing in KAV & KIS isn't worth using, or having...

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I wouldn't take too much notice of magazine reports such as that of PC Magazine to come to this conclusion.

There's nothing to stop people using the anti-phishing protection in KL products to supplement any other anti-phishing measures they may have. I still have mine turned on as well as using Firefox and being on the OpenDNS network, which uses the PhishTank database. KL also happens to use that database amongst others.

The funny thing is none of these services, built in or otherwise, have alerted me to genuine phishing attempts. The last KL alert was one that turned out to be a false positive, and that was ages ago.

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Of course I don't take one report as the word, but it goes to show someone thinks it's not as good...

13. vijayind

Yes, KIS anti-phish is not accurate. If you want to check, please goto www.phishtank.com
    Disable antiphishing protection in your browser and go to the phish sites listed there. KIS 2009 will miss 80% of them....

But again, my contention is that anti-phish not that important. Since most browser and free addons provide credible protection. But that's just my opinion.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well simply put it's just junk that's not needed, and it goes to show Kaspersky is treading in territory they have no experience, and need to stick to what they know best, and stop putting junk into their software.

By doing this, you also undermine your efforts, this is also why I'd never trust using the System Restore, or Rescue CD, or rely on the System Analysis.

But at least Kaspersky does allow for the removed of the Anti-Phish in the Custom Setup.

15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Sigh; round and round and round we go, we we stop nobody knows... No idea what technology uses for their System Restore; the bootable rescue CD is a musthave for heavily infected systems where removal of malware is impossible since it interferes with AV install and functionality. Tons of vendors put out their own for this exact purpose and the fact the you don't understand what's it good for doesn't change anything. Their security analyzer is using Secunia PSI database, which is excellent, and claiming that buggy vulnerable apps are irrelevant wrt system security suggests I'd better think twice about your expertise.

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

And yet KIS uses the PhishTank database. If people are going to test the phishes there, it's best to check the valid group, and not just the ones waiting to be verified by the community.

By the way, Micha, one of the submitters there, is a KL employee.

Having said that, the last update to the KL phish database was August 6.

17. vijayind

TonyW, People who use the new listing can also validate if its a phish. So when I say KIS 2009 misses 80% , I have cross-checked the listing and seen the site to determine its a phish. Hence I say with conviction that KIS 2009 antiphish protection is a dud ....
    Nice to know, KL is a part of the phishtank effort. But they should not wait for the community to label sites as phish to include in updates. Its too damn long.... Instead, if KL cross-checked and added updates as quickly as their malware updates. Then their anti-phish functionality would be much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.