I hope I can skip that part

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 357mag, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

When your using True Image to create an image of your entire hard drive, and lets say you want to save it on an external USB drive, you don't have to go through that Acronis Secure Zone do you? I don't really understand why that's there and was wondering if I can just skip that.

2. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

You don't need a Secure Zone. Don't install it if you don't have too. If you already did, don't use it unless you need too (if you have an external USB drive, then you don't need a secure zone).

3. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I have not purchased True Image yet. I wasn't aware that there was an option in the installation program to not install Secure Zone. I did download the trial version but it's not a fully functioning version.

4. jimmytop

Yeah, the Secure Zone is purely optional. I don't know why so many people install it, you don't need it if you have a separate drive to store your images on. I see so many posts in this forum about problems caused by the SZ, I will never use one.

My understanding is that the Secure Zone is mainly for people who only have one drive, and have to store their images on the same drive as their system partition.

Some people get a false sense of security by installing a Secure Zone on their second drive, thinking that somehow it will be immune to viruses and hackers. Gimme a break and don't worry about it! In my opinion, it's just not worth the hassle of a Secure Zone.

Since you have an external USB drive or a second hard drive, don't bother with a Secure Zone.

You can also read the following thread for more opinions:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=69432

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The other thing worth noting is that if you create a SZ on an external drive and activate the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM), then subsequently remove the drive or leave it switched off you'll find the system will not boot. This is because the SRM modifies the MBR and expects to find a SZ on the external drive as part of the boot process.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 357mag,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis Secure Zone is a special, hidden system partition for storing disk and partition images. Ordinary applications can’t access it, for image security purposes. If you create an image on the same disk (partition), we recommend you to store an image in Acronis Secure Zone. But if you create an image to an external hard drive, you don't need to install Acronis Secure Zone.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Thanks for pointing that out... :eek:
    I am a new at this image thing, and I am indebted to Menorcaman for helping me...thanks.
    Is the SZ created automatically when you install TI?, or is it a feature you "create" after installation?
    When I click the tool, it wants to create it, (and I didn't create it) so I can only presume that it was never created on install.
    I am just asking for verification here.
    Thanks
    Cheers :)

8. jimmytop

Unless you tell it to create a Secure Zone, then one has not yet been created. It is NOT done automatically on install of the software. You have to agree to it.

9. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi jimmytop
    Thanks
    Cheers :)

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Using the SZ on its own isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's activating SRM that can lead to problems.

When creating a SZ the Wizard defaults to also activating the SRM. So, if you don't want the associated SRM, just make sure you select the "Do not activate Acronis Startup Manager" option.

Regards

11. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

I'm happy to tell you that TI only creates the secure zone if you explicity tell it to, and that you don't need it.

The only time I had trouble with TI was when I created an SZ and then uninstalled it. I was left with a portion of my disk that I couldn't access. Partition Manager refused to look at my disk, reporting some kind of error. I'll leave aside how I solved the problem, but SZ is something to avoid.

On the other hand, the rest of TI is swell.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.