I have to admit, I'm quite impressed with W7 repair and recovery abilities!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Although I'd turned off W7's firewall (both local and public networks) before installing Privatefirewall, when I booted after the installation the PC would never get past the Windows logo. I was able to get Windows to attempt to repair the startup problem but it couldn't but it also had an "Advance" option. I actually possess the install disc as I just recently built this PC but knowing there are several options available in it, which may have confused stressed out me, when offered "Create a system repair disc" I chose to try that and using the newly created disc began the restoration from a recent image (imaged with W7s backup) on an external HD. The thing that was really impressive is the fact that it could create a rescue disc in the middle of a rescue! Who'd of thought?

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi ratchet :)

Indeed, they are capable and a very good thing to offer and have available for users of Win7, etc. Glad you found success using them. Sorry to hear of the problem you had with PF, but I too have experienced some odd behavior with it, as well as many others, but it is a solid firewall when it is playing nice, but it seems it can get confused with some hardware/software configs, but that is the case with many firewalls. Also, the way I handle turning off windows firewall, I think it is important that after you "turn it off" that you go into Admin services, and actually disable the firewall service by changing its properties from Auto to disable. Not saying that was the cause for the PF installation problems, just mentioning it for future reference.

Nice to hear you are back up and running :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  3. ratchet

Ah, interesting about the service! I'm using ZoneAlarm free now and Splashtop from the HP TouchPad works great, at least on my network. Before we travel to any of the children's homes I'll go down to McDonalds or the library and test it from there.

4. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Sounds good ratchet. :) The one thing about ZA that baffles me. Is not the free version installer about 165MB? Compare that with Private Firewall installer and capabilities at under 4MB, with installation being about 5 - 6 MB total, at least according to my stats. It often baffles me about these matters, that a firewall such as PF when it is stable is just as capable to a firewall that is 40 times the size or larger.

I sure hope ZA has a boat load of features, but overall, if it is working for you so far, then PF may not be compatible with your particular hardware/software configs. Glad things are at least working for you :)

In regards to PF, I have found it valuable to allow "training" for a day or up to 3 days to get accustomed to your system, etc. Even before enabling process detection, then after training, one should enable process detection for full use of PF features. I guess this can be said with most HIPS enabled firewalls, that sometimes training mode is worth trying in order to get the firewall acquainted with your particular system. Just some thoughts, but if you are satisfied with ZA, and it is stable, it may be your answer :)

5. ratchet

Download size is normally an issue with me all things being equal. Unfortunately I didn't even pay attention to either. Comodo has always been good for me but because of its size and extras I didn't try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.