I have registered for AutoUpdate, but it does not work in Vista.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by idd00jea, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idd00jea

    idd00jea Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2008
    Posts:
    4
    :mad: I have registered my SpywareBlaster software for AutoUpdate, but it does not work OK in Vista. o_O :thumbd:

    Program GUI tells that I have AutoUpdate registration active, but when there is a new update for the database, ....the program does not get that update of the database from the server.

    As an example, there was an update at the server dated 27/06/2009, and my program did not get it. I knew about the existence of that new database update because a friend has also SpywareBlaster (without AutoUpdate, so he gets updates manually), and on 04/07/2009 I saw he had that new updated database dated 27/06/2009, but .....my laptop had an older database.

    Another example. The actual database update is dated 14/07/2009 (I have seen again in my friend's PC), but ....my laptop still have the former database I manually got sometime ago, that is dated 27/06/2009.

    The funny thing is that my SpywareBlaster installation at my laptop always tells that I have AutoUpdate active, but ....it does not makes its function.

    I have let stay the old database update dated 27/06/2009 in my laptop waiting for any answer from you to this question, ....what would be the reason of this failure of AutoUpdate auntomatic retrieval?.

    Thanks for any help you can offer me.
     
  2. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    Hi,

    We've tested SpywareBlaster and AutoUpdate thoroughly with Windows Vista. It's likely that something about your particular configuration or system is the culprit (potentially other security software / firewalls).

    To help narrow down what it might be:

    1.) Is your computer regularly connected to the Internet?
    2.) What type of Internet connection do you have? Dial-up? Broadband?
    3.) Is your Internet connection "always-on"? If not, how do you go about connecting?
    4.) Did you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista, or did the machine come with Windows Vista pre-installed (or did you do a "clean install" of Windows Vista)?
    5.) Is Windows Vista's UAC (User Account Control) enabled or disabled? (If it's enabled, you should see "A program needs your permission to continue" prompt when starting SpywareBlaster.)
    6.) What other security/privacy software do you have installed? (i.e. anti-virus, firewall, other anti-spyware, cleaning tools, security suites, etc.)

    Best regards,

    -Javacool
     
  3. idd00jea

    idd00jea Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2008
    Posts:
    4
    Lets review your questions. I will answer all them:

    1.) Yes, I regularily connect and disconnect from Internet. Normally each day.
    2.) Broadband. ADSL 3 MB.
    3.) I disconnect my ADSL router at night (just power off) and connect it again in the mornig (just power on).
    4.) My PC came with Vista preinstalled from factory. I have just updated it to SP1 and SP2 (and all Windows Updates).
    5.) UAC is enabled.
    6.) I have installed McAfee Security Center, which includes Antivirus and Firewall. Also SpyBot S&D, CCleaner, and Registry Mechanic.

    Best Regards,

    Antonio. :)
     
  4. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    Hi,

    Thanks for the information. :)

    Could you please confirm that McAfee Security Center's Firewall is set to allow "sbautoupdate.exe" (the SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate executable) full access to the Internet?

    (By default, sbautoupdate.exe is stored under C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster )

    If it is, please try:
    -Disabling AutoUpdate in SpywareBlaster
    -Removing "sbautoupdate.exe" from the firewall's settings
    -Rebooting
    -Re-adding full Internet access permissions for sbautoupdate.exe in the McAfee firewall.
    -Re-enabling AutoUpdate in SpywareBlaster

    Best regards and thanks,

    -Javacool
     
  5. idd00jea

    idd00jea Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2008
    Posts:
    4
    WOW, .....It worked !!

    You have given me the right solution .....(a little late in time, ...but VERY EFFECTIVE). :D

    Yes, the "sbautoupdate.exe" file had only permission for OUTGOING ACCESSES, and not for FULL ACCESS. I do not know how it was changed, because I have never changed anything in the firewall settings.

    Thank you.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.