I have no idea what's wrong. any suggestions?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eddie269, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddie269

eddie269 Registered Member

Hi guys, a few months ago, I started to get a lot of spyware and started to delete programs from my computer. Some I wasn;t sure about but being frustrated, I deleted them anyways.

Ever since then, a few websites have been closing when they load. For example, hotels.com, reno.com, and a few others. Basically I will go on the website, and right when it finishes loading up, it will close. This happens on IE and even on AOL. The AOL just shuts down and everything closes.

Any ideas? System restore?

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

When you say deleted, are you saying you uninstalled the programs, or are you saying you manually deleted programs and their folders?

Nick

3. eddie269

everything was done from the "add/remove programs" area.

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

I'm not trying to be smart or funny, but seriously consider dumping aol. You can do much better probably for a lower price. Aol is notorious for throwing vast amounts of files all over your hdrive. Average users just usually can't be bothered switching providers because in order to completely rid yourself of aol a clean os install is necessary.
    Just a suggestion.
    To try and fix your problem.
    Try running hijackthis and posting on the proper forums here. The guys are great over there. This should clean up your system after following their advice.
    Then you may have to reinstall aol if you want to use it.
    This should straighten you out. I doubt if your os is seriously damaged

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I would try reinstalling AOL first. You may be alerted to missing components or applications. What OS are you using? Another option would be to verify the integrity of your system files: go Start/Run, type sfc /scannow, and click OK.

Nick

6. eddie269

AOL is a family account so I use it regardless. But I do know what you mean.

I'm running Windows XP Home. I'll try and reinstall AOL in a few.

I would use a hijackthis thread but that section of the msg board doesn't seem to be taking any new logs. I posted a few not too long ago and it seemed alright.

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

This link may also help: IE crashing from Java applets. Mentions Java errors causing both IE and AOL crashes. Did you uninstall Sun Java Runtime Environment?

Nick

8. eddie269

OK, i downloaded Java and it works.

That linked help a lot. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.