I have KIS 2009 - do I need to run MBAM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by volvic, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volvic

volvic Registered Member

is there any point...?

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes,cause mbam is been made to chatch what big vendors missed;)or what antivirus in general missed

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

With KIS2009 I probably wouldn't run MBAM "resident", but I would always keep it available for on-demand scanning. You never know when you will want a second opinion.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been running it on-demand for maybe a year or so, with KIS 2009 (now 2010.) It has never found anything. I am confident that KIS will catch malware, but do scan with MBAM and SAS from time to time.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

most people here are pretty savvy, with that and a decent suite such as kaspersky most people wont get infected, so IMO if you think your pretty savvy i wouldnt bother, it doesnt harm sitting on your desktop on-demand.
    i never do system scans even with my av, if there was something on your system it would of been scanned from the resident scanner, i maybe right click scan your downloads with things like mbam and sas, but for me i dont bother.
    i only download from reputable sites and if i need something from a site i dont know of you can download it in a sandbox and scan before actually allowing it on your system.
    just a plain old antivirus is enough for me

6. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

i disagree, as i said before about iobit, how does it target what big vendors miss? because you cannot know what they miss, unless its purposely missed like cookies, or maybe some antiviruses dont use detections for rogues because its hard to know what a rogue is.
    antiviruses now detect all malicous software that is known, if they hear about a new form of malware they will add a detection, they wont say no that is for mbam to do. please explain how this works.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

No, but in the past with KIS and Bit Defender there were a couple of attempts at penetration. The AV caught them and the AT did not. At that time I did not have MBAM.

I am not convinced that anything other than a top AV, especially an IS application, is needed. In spite of that I do scan with both SAS and MBAM periodically.
    I must be a safe user.:)

Regards,
    Jerry

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, I echo your thoughts. I to think a good AV is really all you need with a tad of common sense.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'd say no.

If you set your security settings to higher than default, anyway.

I don't remember KIS 2009, but KIS 2010 trusts a lot of programs by default, and allows outbound permission for lots of programs, like the Acrobat Reader. Some kind of certificate thing probably. I didn't like it and made some changes (currently trialling Avira).

Assuming you'll be smart enough not to install rogue security software, I don't see the point.

One good suite is all it takes. And for a second opinion I'd use something that has a larger database, like A2 and some others.

10. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

what is MBAM is that malware bytes?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.