I have ESET AV 5 installed but it won't show in Win8Pro 64bit?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by GrammatonCleric, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

The ESET icon won't show in the menu next to the clock so I don't really know if it's running or not.

2. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Is the ESET icon there when you click the up arrow next to the clock to show hidden icons?

3. GrammatonCleric

Nope,
    I know I sound like a moron but I swear I am not. I know my description is dumb. But yeah I am aware of the up arrow.
    Now the ESET is working per say, it shows up in task manager etc, just the icon heralding it's status is not showing up. So I am not 100% certain that it's fully protecting me. Yes it cought the EICAR test file but you got to understand this from my perspective. Mainly if the visual status display is borked then what else can be borked that I am not aware off? Are all the lights on and is everyone home? Hell I don't know.

4. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Is ESET even in the list of programs that show when you click "customize" after clicking on the up arrow? Did the icon ever show up in your system tray or did it disappear after a while?

There are a lot of user interface customization settings in ESET, but I did not see one that might control the icon. If you can start up the interface, maybe you could dig around in the settings.

I just noticed that there is a "restore default icon behaviors" link available after you click on the up arrow in the system tray. Maybe that would do something.

At some point, you will probably get the recommendation from ESET to uninstall and reinstall the software. If that doesn't work, a Google search for "tray icons not showing in Windows 7" might return some helpful info.

5. GrammatonCleric

NOD32 V5 won't execute the GUI on Windows 8 PRO 64bit

Fresh install of Win8 PRO 64 bit but the GUI won't show up. So I can't do manual scans or any scans just realitime protection. NOD32 icon won't display next to the clock.
    Other Security Software installed:
    Malwarebytes
    OA
    EAM
    Webroot SecureAnywhere 2013

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: NOD32 V5 won't execute the GUI on Windows 8 PRO 64bit

Assuming it worked to start with, did you try reinstalling? Also check (logs) if any of your other security software is blocking it

7. GrammatonCleric

Yeah Freshly installed and re-installed.
    From the other software logs it shows that it's not being blocked I will check windows logs.

8. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello GrammatonCleric

This article is not updated regarding Windows 8 pro 64 OS, but it may give you some clues, The ESET icon has disappeared. How do I bring it back? (maybe is the last part of the article, the most relevant part for you)

Regards, Janus

9. GrammatonCleric

Thanks!
    It's not only the icon it's the whole GUI it can't be lunched.

Anyhow the problem is with Webroot Secure Anywhere, that's what I pinpointed it to. the solutions if any will be provided in the prevex thread on this website:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=336199

10. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi

Thanks GrammatonCleric for the link. I Will follow you in the thread link posted out of curiosity, fingers crossed and hope for the best. :)

Regards, Janus

11. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

There is a thread on ESS entitled 'Windows 8' by Crushrr which shows that several others have the same trouble, and as yet ESet do not appear to have come up with an answer even if they have looked into it!!

12. GrammatonCleric

Well I don't know I am having what appears to be an issue between ESET and Webroot Secure Anywhere. I've just ran the Webroot tool that has been sent to me by webroot, and submitted my logs to them.
    If they come up with a solution that fixes it then I be more than happy to share it.

13. GrammatonCleric

Ok problem solved.
    I finally figured it out.
    AS FOR MY CASE, AND MAYBE MY CASE ONLY:
    It appears that Windows 8 have decreased the number of low level hooks that can be had by a security software. So when EAM and WebRoot and Malwarebytes and NOd32 attempted a low level hook, one of them had to be kicked out and which one depended on the order they started.
    So in the end I solved the problem by just removing the ESET NOD32 HIPS module...I know that by doing so this removes the self defense of NOD32 which sucks but it's the only way that this made the GUI of NOD32 work. If ESET folks have any other ideas I be more thank happy to entertain them.

14. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

You have my sympathies GC as I had the same problem and finally uninstalled ESS and left WSA to do the job. Other threads around here on this and ESet do not seem to be bothered as they do not respond. I only had ESS and WSA installed and running btw.

15. mprezgot

mprezgot Registered Member

I have rechecked it with version 6 (RC): disabled HIPS at initial setup - all works OK after restart. Re-enabled HIPS: no GUI or scan on demand after restart. Now I can't disable HIPS again (no GUI, and registry key can't be edited to do it).

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Could selecting pre-release update remedy this issue? Is NOD 32 5 fully compatible with Windows 8 without selecting pre-release updates? Any comment from Eset staff on this?

Attached Files:

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

not to stray off topic of the title but, Eset 6 RC works flawlessly with Windows 8 in my testing. Why keep 5 when 6 is much better.

18. GrammatonCleric

Well I guess for the RC part of it. Some folks don't want the RC, but since 5 works worse than Beta 1 on win8 Pro 64bit then I presume 6RC is better than 5Beta1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.