I got 70% Isopropyl alcohol. Is it good? how to use it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tru_Snoop, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Hey guys;

I got "Rubbing Alcohol" which contains 70% of Isopropyl Alcohol. Is that good to clean my CPU Chip and heatsink? or Do I need 100% isopropyl Alcohol? I checked "Nail polish remover", but it contains oil in it. I heard that oil is not good for cleaning CPU. Is that right?

Can I clean CPU itself with Isopropyl Alcohol that I have? I was thinking of dipping Q-tip into rubbing alcohol and then cleaning the CPU with it. Is that how you suppose to do it? Because there is lot of residue around my cpu's chip.

Also, when I put small amound of "thermal greese" (I have "Silver Greese") onto my Cpu's chip. How will I be able to spread this compound evenly onto CPU? What should I use to spread it? Can I use something made out of metal? (Then again I am afraid of static). It is so hard to use a card to spread it, as there isn't much space inside to move around. Any suggestions. Or Can I just use "thermal pad", as it is easy to use? lol

I checked new heatsinks: Ventec Aeroflow and ThermalTake Silent Boost. Silent boost's fan is only 2400 rpm and 27.5 cfm, compared to Ventec Aeroflow with 5500 rpm and 38.5 cfm. Should I consider Aeroflow since its fan has more rpm and better air flow? What do you guys think?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

don't use nail polish remover, it contains acetone

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Exactly HOW long have you had your computer?? And in what conditions?? The Saharao_O Everglades?? Be Careful what you do!!

Cheers!
    Marja:cool:

There is a good thread on cleaning your 'puter, by Peaches4you, she isn't here now, maybe someone will take pity on us and dig it up! :D

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

here is the post by peaches here

5. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Aaah, ya beat me, BigC! It would have helped if I had the exact name!!:D
    Thanks!!

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've used isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol for years as a handy general-purpose cleaner for metal contacts, and it works quite nicely. Just watch out that you don't get carried away to the point that it drips and leaks into places you didn't intend -- a slightly-damp qtip is a handy applicator-plus-wiper.

And try to keep it away from anything plastic or of unknown composition -- a lot of those react badly to alchohol.

7. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Well thanks guys. I finally got "Vantec Aeroflow" heatsink and used the "thermal greese" I had at home. It is a sweet heatsink. It reduced the temp about 15 degrees Celcius. What a difference? It is too big though. However, I was able to put it in.........it was pretty easy installation as I didin't have to use screw driver to push it in. Very happy so far. My temperature at the moment is 54 degrees load and 46-49 degrees idle. Pretty good.

I want to thank all of you guys for your help. This forum rocks. Very helpfull experts.

Thank you guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.