I give up. "Inaccessible boot device" after a Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by juani, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juani

juani Registered Member

Help.
    I have read the manual and many threads in here, but cannot figure out how to fix this.
    I have Windows 2000 Professional on an 4 GB drive with TI 9 (latest build installed). I do a Full Backup of the HD and see no errors anywhere.
    After that, I take that image to a 20 GB HD and try to do a Restore, so as to transfer it to a somewhat bigger HD.
    I choose the option to restore partitions and to expand the partition (I also choose the max. value available) and click on Proceed. When I reboot, I get the error message.
    I have tried :
    1. Choosing the Disk 1 option to restore
    2. Choosing only the Image to restore.
    3. Choosing the MBR to restore (after having copied the image and rebooted the PC)
    4. Choosing Active as well as Logical partition.

None of this helps. When I reboot with the Restore CD, I can see that the files I copied are in the HD, so the image is being copied correctly (most of it anyway). But, the PC will not boot beyond the BSOD (it occurs right after the "Starting Windows ... Press F8" message.

I have run chkdsk /f but it found no errors. In fact, if I reformat the HD, make it Active, and try again I still get the same error. There is nothing wrong with the HD because I can do a Clean Install and it loads correctly.

So, the error is in copying the MBR to the new HD (I'd imagine). In TI 8, there used to be an utility we could use to recreate the MBR (which worked wonders for me); but if I use that utility now, it reports a "No commands to boot the system" error.

I give up :-(

What is wrong ? Am I missing something obvious ? I have deleted and recreated the Image but it does not help.

Thanks in advance !!!

2. Zecke

Zecke Registered Member

Hello.

I think you gonna restore your Image on diffrent, newer Hardware. Here is the point to look at:

Which driver for your harddisks is working on your OLD system? And which driver for your harddisk is needed for your new system?

If you have S-ATA or RAID you MUST install the driver on your OLD system, then backup and then restore. There is no chance to "tell" Windows 2000 the new driver during restore. And please, do not try a repair of Windows 2000. It won't work!

If this fails you have to use Universal Restore.

Best regards
    Zecke

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Juani,

This is normally a straight forward operation.
    You have an a full image of the original drive on other media. Remove the original drive and replace it with the new one. Make sure it is connected the same as the old one and the jumper is set correctly as per the label on the new drive. Then boot from the recovery CD and restore the whole disk including the MBR expanding the partitions as your go.

Xpilot

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello juani,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If the original drive is IDE and the target drive is SATA, please have a look at this article describing how to transfer your operating system with such setup.

If that's not the case, please see this thread describing how to fix MBR of the drive.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the exact full text of the error message (or make a photo).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.